HybridZ

240Z Eibach Springs in Early 260Z

I'm rebuilding the suspension (bushings, springs, shocks, etc.) on my 9/73 260Z and I just ran into something unsettling. I installed Tokico HPs and Eibachs which are both listed as compatible with the 240Z and early 260Z. When I put in the HP inserts, the gland nuts almost bottomed out. They are tightened but very close to the strut top even with the gland nut spacer. But this is not the main problem.

While I was putting the springs on I noticed that my 260Z spring perch sits noticeably lower than the 240Z struts I have to compare with. I decided to go on anyway, because the springs are listed as the same for the 240/260Z (early). I installed the struts on the car (ARB or steering rack uninstalled, but that doesn't make a difference) and I have virtually no bump travel with the ES bump stop in there. Cutting or removing the bump stop will help but not by much, as I think it would still bottom out all the time.

The springs are installed correctly, with part number 6305.001 in front.

Now I'm thinking someone installed later struts but I measured the strut ID and it was equal to my 240Z strut tube! The 240Z/early 260Z inserts fit snugly into both my 260Z and 240Z strut tubes. The difference being that the 260Z lower spring perch sits lower than the 240Z spring perch. I don't remember there being much of a difference in overall height.

At this point, I'm not quite sure what's going on here. Are there three types of stock S30 struts? It does not look like someone cut the perch and welded it lower. I suppose I can get longer springs, but what is the issue here? I've been searching and haven't seen this problem.

Here are some photos for reference:

P1020117.jpg

P1020135.jpg

P1020138.jpg

Interesting...

Does your suspension bottom out a lot with so little bump travel?

I plan to use my Z for weekend/autoX and I dont want to be smacking the bump stop all the time. Maybe I'll just trim the bump stop and see how it drives.

Anyone else have similar problems?

EDIT: That's what the comparison of my 260Z and '71 240Z struts looks like. The spring perch sits higher on the 240Z ones. Thanks for the photos!

Edited by Leon