HybridZ

su carb air cleaner

Does anyone know the exact bolt size for the bolts that mount the orange air cleaner to the su carbs? It doesnt hurt to run it without the big orange air cleaner right? thanks

Dude... you need to do some research before posting wildly on here. My advice is to google the effects of running a vehicle without an air cleaner. Also, please read the forum rules, located in the top right corner of the site.

Dude...I post only after ive searched and theres no specific answer to my question which is why I posted! So I can google how the car runs without the air cleaner... thats 1 of my questions, I also asked what bolts mount it to the carbs?? if you can find me that exact information then I will gladly research more just for you buddy!

Edited by Z31TURBODRAY

Thats not the bolt im talking about but thanks anyway. I dont have an attitude but this is a forum and im sure alot guys on here like myself post as there working on there cars, so after searching and not finding the specific answer to your question I would think its a good idea to just post your very specific question to get a very quick specific answer! sorry I came at you the wrong way but this damn car has been very frustrating all week.

It's cool man. Try using google site search also, and you might want to try some of the other Z forums as well, since this one is predominately about modifications and performance enhancements. It will be hard to find information like that on here. The microfiche might actually help you find what you need, and also try this:

Better than microfiche

It's got the same info, and can help you find an exact part number, quickly. Sometimes the microfiche will tell you what bolt pattern you need, if you are lucky and it's not proprietary.

Okay, so which bolt are you referring to if it isn't the proprietary one that the wingnut screws into?

There are four bolts that hold the air cleaner backing plate to the carburetors themselves. There are two different types of bolts among those four. The outer two are just regular bolts with lock washers to retain them. The inner two bolts are special (hence the term "proprietary" or perhaps "bespoke" if you prefer) and I have never seen their like in any hardware store or fastener retailer's outlet location.

These bolts:

blue72_air_cleaner_bolts.jpg

They too have lock washers, but the wing nuts thread into the back of them.

Each of these four bolts are an 8 x 1.25 thread. The overall length of the shouldered area combined with the threads is approx. 20mm. That measurement does not include the taper at the end. The long wingnut fasteners are the same diameter and thread pitch, but I'd have to take one off of my car to measure it's length if that is the fastener to which you are referring.

I'm sharing this info because I've been in this same situation. When I bought my car it was missing all of the air cleaner attachment hardware. Like I said, I've never seen those inner bolts for sale anywhere and the only way I've ever come by them is when buying complete air cleaner assemblies. Hopefully, with the right search terms, others will come across this information when they need it in the future. Unfortunately, the thread title is not very descriptive at all. If it were something like "SU Air Cleaner Bolt Thread Pitch" it'd be easier to spy for future searchers.

Oh, and yes, it can hurt any engine to run without an air cleaner. It's one of the basic parts that keeps dirt and dust out of the engine.

Edited by blue72

"I have never seen their like in any hardware store or fastener retailer's outlet location."

I posit you have!

Look again at those M8-1.25X40 Socket Head Set Screws, and then go to the bin where the M8 All-Thread Coupling Nuts reside...

Put the two together, a little loctite red, and there you have it!

"You're Welcome!"

:D