HybridZ

Roll bar/Height questions

gsxtcy

Hey guys, need your experience! I am planning to buy a roll bar for my project. I am 6'3" and bought the car in a million pieces with no seats, so I'm not sure how to test fit and determine if I will hit my head. Can any taller Z owners make a recommendation for me? I was looking at an Autopower Roll bar. Any guidance on other non-custom roll bars would be appreciated as well. Thank you

You can position the Autopower bar really close to the roofline if you're careful about it. If you're just using the roll bar alone it is entirely behind the seat, so a bit of padding on the bars immediately around the headrest should suffice. I ran one with no padding whatsoever for years, but luckily never got in an accident to see if that was a good idea or not. If you're going to run a full cage, I think you simply cannot get your head far enough away from the A pillar bars, and for that reason it should be a helmet only proposition to drive the car at that point.

The best thing you can do IMO is lower the seat as much as possible. If you do that you'll gain some clearance between the roof and your head and the door opening and your head. I think you're most likely to hit the opening above the door in an accident. I'm 6' and had a spin at an autox and when the car came to a stop I smacked my head on the door area. Rung my bell pretty good with a helmet on. I just don't think there is a good way around that problem when you're 6' or more in a Z car, they're too short in height and there probably isn't enough room to lay the seat back.

You can position the Autopower bar really close to the roofline if you're careful about it. If you're just using the roll bar alone it is entirely behind the seat, so a bit of padding on the bars immediately around the headrest should suffice. I ran one with no padding whatsoever for years, but luckily never got in an accident to see if that was a good idea or not. If you're going to run a full cage, I think you simply cannot get your head far enough away from the A pillar bars, and for that reason it should be a helmet only proposition to drive the car at that point.

The best thing you can do IMO is lower the seat as much as possible. If you do that you'll gain some clearance between the roof and your head and the door opening and your head. I think you're most likely to hit the opening above the door in an accident. I'm 6' and had a spin at an autox and when the car came to a stop I smacked my head on the door area. Rung my bell pretty good with a helmet on. I just don't think there is a good way around that problem when you're 6' or more in a Z car, they're too short in height and there probably isn't enough room to lay the seat back.

I was expecting you to reply on this. thanks for the info. I was just going to run the street autopower bar and s2000 seats, but you are making weary of the bar completely. Any more thoughts?

Furthermore, would you know which seats aftermarket or OEM, lower the seat down the furthest?

Edited by gsxtcy