HybridZ

240Z Stainless Steel Exhaust

I REALLY like your pre-muffler. It is a MUCH better mounting arrangement than MSA uses in their current kits. I have the same header, and HATED the 'new routing' they used. Your thoughts on the premuffler positioning run alongside what I was thinking would have to be my only option for modification and getting that damnably loud singe-can configuration MSA sells back to where it is on everything else I used from them (with the addition of that 18 to 36" glasspack up front under the tranny!)

With a staggered dual-tip exhaust it would look very 432 OEM like (save for it being a single pipe front to back!)

Nice looking job!

Thanks for your comments. I should also mention that the MSA header was challenging to fit. I had to remove a small section of aluminum from the bottom of the Intake manifold as the header was touching. The header also touches the corner side of the transmision tunnel. The flange cleared but the tube ahead of the flange was touching. This provides the infamous "hot foot" you hear so much about, as the header touches just where your acceleator pedal is positioned on the inside of the car. I had to gently bump the body metal back in order to provide enough clearance. I thought that the fit of the header could have been better, but perhaps this header was an older 6-1 MSA version that was known for fitting problems. I am very curious to hear other accounts of header fitting problems with respect to the MSA brand. I hope for other peoples' sake that they have improved on their 6-into-1 design. I agree with the comments on the pre-muffler, this is why I went to this one, it resembles the stock one, and should help with "header boom" you hear alot about. I am no expert, this is just in my opinion.

It absolutely will help. It's been my standard fittment until my last purchase (literally) of their 'new updated kit'---the new routing which uses the three bolt flanges (which I hate) limits the placement of the muffler where I previously could put it on their 'older' system that simply used muffler clamps to hold it all together.

The addition of a resonator under or near the transmission GREATLY reduced the boom in EVERY car I've done it to, and there have been many others who have listened to my advice on their 'loud' exhaust systems to quiet it down. My 76 2/2 is quieter than a stock car, using a 2/5" crush bent exhaust and stock cast iron exhaust manifold, but the MSA downpipe for their exhaust (I had the same setup on my 260Z as well...) Nice and quiet, but flowing well enough on a car that turns a best of 15.30 in the 1/4! It really wakes up some people to be next to a car so quiet...yet so quick! :lol: