HybridZ

Remove old Undercoat or Not?

Guest TKR514

I'm doing my first Z restoration. I removed the front and rear suspension and fuel tank. There is no rust underneath the car except for some minor surface specks close to the rear bumber mount.

Can I just wash it and call it good OR do I need to strip the entire undercoating /paint, then repaint and reundercoat?

So, what is the process? Better to scrape the metal or use a chemical paint stripper? Sandblast? Seems like I would need to get all traces of everything off and then prime, paint and undercoate?

79ZX original owner...

I think if the car is in excellent shape I would due a little selective removal at first. The areas that seem most prone to rust are at the overlap joints. Check out where the floor pan meets the firewall and where it meets the back half of the car. This is where I found my hidden rust.

If you are doing this under the car I would try the oven cleaner routine first. Please and I do mean please wear eye protection, gloves and a long sleeve shirt. Good luck with it.

Guest jdllaugh

In my opinion, this is a long, nasty, kick-butt job. It's a real killer. bonk.gif

If I had to do it over again, I would inspect the rust-prone areas and leave the rest alone.

Guest 240hybrid

I read somewhere that if you take a block of dry ice and leave it in the floor boards, or where you want to start removing, it'll make the U/C very brittle. Then give the U/C a hit with a hammer/mallet and it should seperate from the car easily in nice chunks, and expose a descent section of the undercarriage. do this enough and you dont have to scrap so much of it manually.

Chase