HybridZ

no power steering...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

is driving a Z without power steering that bad?

i have a honda prelude right now and the power steering went out...it was't bad, but was kind of a pain when not moving.

-chris

I have a 5.0L powered 260 with 245/50/15 tire all around. The car has a slight smaller diameter steering wheel, and no power steering. For normal driving, the lack of power steering is not a problem. For auto-X racing, which I have started doing, power steering would be a plus. It's a pain to muscle around 180 degree slow turns.

i think the absense of power steering is ok, it gives a very direct feel to the driving experience, parallelling can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but thats the price i pay to be the king of import race. i like the mustang power conversions, if youre running huge tires up front, its not a bad idea, i could imagine trying to turn some 275/50 series tires into a small parking spot, oh boy.

Mxyzptlk: driving a Z without powersteering is actually easier than your prelude without powersteering. Don't forget that on the Z, your input goes directly into the steering rack, and you directly control the wheels.

When your power steering went out, you were turning the wheels working against the inactive pump, which adds A LOT to the opposing force: I had the same happen on my neon. Expect much better feedback out of the car designed without powersteering icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

I've got 205's on the front of mine and steering isn't bad when your moving, but if you get into a spot where you have to jockey the wheel much its pretty much not fun. Look up member Alsil and go to his web page. He documented really well, a power steering swap using a Ford power rack (Credit to Terry Oxandale as well, he documented doing the swap originally I think)Al was able to use stock mustang rod ends if I remember correctly.

I don't have the time or bank at the moment to do it, but I hope to some day. I donno its not super bad, the wife can drive it so it can't be to bad.

Regards,

Lone