HybridZ

just bought another z

jpuga

Well I took out the old flywheel and it was very mucho bad. I replaced the clutch and flywheel. Im still wondering what could of caused it to wear like that. Tomorrow I will install the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. After im done I will try and start it. Wish me luck

Today is a good day. I started the z for the first time not the way I wanted it to start but it ran. I think I have a bad ignition switch beause it won't start using the ignition switch it would just click somewhere by the fuse block. I checked all my grounds and still nothing. I finally used a screwdriver at the starter to check if it would turn over and it started. My conclusion is new ignition switch then go from there. Any other I deas?

Today is a good day. I started the z for the first time not the way I wanted it to start but it ran. I think I have a bad ignition switch beause it won't start using the ignition switch it would just click somewhere by the fuse block. I checked all my grounds and still nothing. I finally used a screwdriver at the starter to check if it would turn over and it started. My conclusion is new ignition switch then go from there. Any other I deas?

There is a ignition relay up under the dash on the passenger side. They usually go bad and that is most likely the click you are hearing. You can modify a relay from another car or something or just wire up a push button start. If you search the forum I'm betting you will find what you need to do.

Ouch, yeah a little rust like that isn't going to be fun to fix, just remember you're going to be welding THIN metal and that you need to clean up the rust first. Hitting it with a wire brush on a grinder is a good way, just be sure to wear a good set of goggles/full face mask, to clean it all up.

Butt welding, or overlapping both work fine, but just take your time and make tons of little welds to keep things from warping or burning through. read up on how people have done it.

The Floor pans often rust because of a leak under the cowel in front of the windshield. Cleaning out all the crap in there and resealing it with a good Sealant will help prevent it from happening again. Underneath, consider paintng Por15 (or some other rust inhibitor paint) over your repairs, then some regular underbody coating. The Por 15 will help prevent any rust under there from continuing. Inside, sand it down and repaint it with about any matching paint should protect it well enough. You just don't want to leave exposed metal/welds since they'll rust quickly again w/o treatment. Inside it's a good idea to remove the Tar sound deadening crap Datsun put down, just to be sure you don't have any other spots. Dry ice makes it super easy in the warm weather. Colder temp areas <40 degrees you shouldn't have much trouble. I used a flat screwdriver, mallet and a thin metal paint scraper trowel.

Let see some more picts!

Phar

Edited by Pharaohabq

Well I got it registered and I wanted to drive it today but that stupid clutch master cylinder I got from autozone the push rod is too short and won't fully engage the clutch. Dang I really wanted to drive it for my b-day today well we'll see tommorow.

Happy B-day man... Search on here about clutch push rods. I seem to remember something about that issue. I know the brakes have the reaction disk, but a short pushrod too sounds familiar. I dunno if you can just unscrew it out a bit, or if you'd have to replace it to a more modern one. There also might be a Pedal travel adjustment. When you put in the Clutch master, was it bench bled first? You might have air bubbles causing it not to work quite right.

Phar

Happy B-day man... Search on here about clutch push rods. I seem to remember something about that issue. I know the brakes have the reaction disk, but a short pushrod too sounds familiar. I dunno if you can just unscrew it out a bit, or if you'd have to replace it to a more modern one. There also might be a Pedal travel adjustment. When you put in the Clutch master, was it bench bled first? You might have air bubbles causing it not to work quite right.

Phar

Thanks you... I swaped out the rod to the new clutch master cylinder I have full travel of the pedal I still need to bleed them though

Clutch problem solved itook the car out for a test drive to see how it would drive and it needs a couple other things like an alternator,u joint,flashers relay or switch for the turn signals. Other than that it was great!!! Can't wait til its fully functional I'm even more pumped to work on it. I still haven't washed it though I want to sand and fix the rust before I wet it. I really appreciate evereyones help thank you all.

• 1 year later...