HybridZ

LS1 Swap

Nice! Anymore details and pics on the car?

Well I started the restoration 5 years ago. I should finish it this year.

The LS1 came out of a 2002 Corvette. I disassembled the engine had it machined and then I rebuilt it.

The engine build has: Patriot Stage II Heads, Yella Terra UltraLites Rockers, Thunder Racing Cam (I forget the specs its been too long), FAST Fuel Injectors, Rails, and 90mm Intake, 90mm Throttle Body.

Other mechanical includes: JCI - Engine Mounts, AC compressor / AC Bracket, Block Hugger Headers, Driveshaft, Subaru - WRX Power Steering unit, 2002 TransAm - Steering Column, Modern Motorsports - Extreme Brake package, Rear Control Arms, 5 lug hubs, Stub Axles. 300ZX TT CV joints, Power Brute LSD. Advanced Design - Double Adjustible inserts, Coil over assemblies, 2002 TransAM Fuel Tank

Electrical: Entire wiring harness (under hood, chasis, engine) from a 2002 TransAM.

AC: Vintage Air Compact unit.

Very nice! I'm really interested in specs on the accessory mounts. How did you mount the alt and the PS pump? I'm in the process of adding PS to my car and would like any info you have. Also, it seems the steering shaft from the Subi rack wants to come up through the JCI mount. I have a modified mount and was about to mod the crossmember. Any further gotcha's?

Nice dude! Looks sweet.

You planning on having it custom dyno tuned? If so let us know the numbers. Thanks.

Yes I plan to have it Dyno Tuned. I purchased the PCM from a tuning shop. I sent him all the build specifictions that I could dig up and he sent me a custom programmed PCM (since I did not have one) tuned and ready to go. That is far from being Dyno Tuned but it did get me up and running. The engine started first turn of the key which I was pretty amazed considering I had purchased the TransAM steering column without the Body Control Module aka BCM. This was a hard learned lesson in itself. The BCM reads the ignition key resistance and then enables the starter circuit. There are multiple key resistors and BCM's. The PCM then has to obtain a password from the PCM to keep the fuel pump running. I plan to to turn VATS back on now.

Very nice! I'm really interested in specs on the accessory mounts. How did you mount the alt and the PS pump? I'm in the process of adding PS to my car and would like any info you have. Also, it seems the steering shaft from the Subi rack wants to come up through the JCI mount. I have a modified mount and was about to mod the crossmember. Any further gotcha's?

The accesory mounts were a nightmare to figure out. I originally planned on a drive by wire setup but the throttle body actuator presented all types of clearance issues. I knew I would utilize JCI's AC compressor and mount. It just so happened that John designed his mount allowing for a PS unit. So the drivers side mount was set. I then had to find a high side passengers side Alt mount. I found it at carshopinc. It was not cheap but it is high quality and worked perfectly. It included the altenator, bracket, tensioner, and bolts. All that left me with was an idler pully where the altenator typically mounts on the F-Body which is down low drivers side. Just the perfect location to interfere with the Subaru PS rack. I purchased an F-Body altnator bracket off ebay and took a dremel cutting head to it. I then mounted an idler pulley on it. That just left the accessory belt which took about three purchases to get right. The Subaru PS Rack was a challange. I rotated it more vertical to avoid the JCI mount by modifying the round portion that the Datsun rack sits in with the rectangular mount that I purchased for the Suabaru PS rack. That left me with rerouting the steering linkages. I utilized a TransAM steering coulum and it has a Double D steering coupler. I modified it and then purchased a vibration isolator, two fixed bearings, and three splined ujoints to route the steering linkages along the top of the frame rail and down to the Subaru splined shaft. This took considerable trial effort and lots of choice words! It all turned out great with no play in the steering feel.

Couple Questions, Why the 2002 Transam Steering shaft, and why the 2002 TA Gas tank?

Phar

I probably should have just said 1998-2002 F-Body which included the Camaro and TransAM. I utilized the F-Body steering shaft because it was all plug and play when you have the entire F-Body car wiring harness. Same for the F-Body fuel tank. It just took a while to figure out what all that wiring harness did. I liked the option of in the future adding Airbags, ABS and Traction control too. Im all wired for it.