HybridZ

Fuel Injection Relay 75-77

misterZ

Looking for a known good fuel injection relay found on driver's side under dash (left side above ECU). I suspect one side is bad on mine and need one for troubleshoot/replacement. Please send PM w/ price shipped to 32405 (NW Florida panhandle).

fuelpumprelay.jpg

Thanks,

I'm not exactly close, (calgary Canada) but I have a couple of known good ones. I'll send one for the price of postage. Let me know z240@shaw.ca.

Jim

PM sent.

EDIT: Paypal sent, thanks!

Edited by misterZ

I appreciate you guys sending the part (EFI relay) I thought I needed but that was not it. Turns out, I have a bad (second) oil pressure switch that was 'rigged' to turn the pump on/off based on oil pressure. Meaning, as long as the car has oil pressure it will run; kind of a safety feature the PO installed but think it was to bypass a bad harness(?) or signal to the AFM when the key is in the 'on' position.

Here is the switch I need if anyone can identify it; appears to be domestic if memory serves me correct from working at the parts store in my younger days:

oil_switch.jpg

It is wired one side to the brake switch (constant 12v) and the other to the EFI relay. I can jumper the wires and the pump runs constant; the oil pressure switch is the make/break for this circuit and installed on a tee connector in-line w/ the factory switch for the gauge. Anyone else heard of such a thing? Regardless, I need to find an oil switch like this to resolve my issue as I suspect it's definitely bad.

EDIT: Found it! `85 Cavalier 6cyl oil pressure switch. :D

Edited by misterZ

I had considered doing something similar to my car when I was having problems adjusting the fuel pump contact switch in the AFM, which is what your car came with also. At times, the fuel pump would get turned off at low RPM. Enough air was getting by the AFM vane to let the contact switch open.

In your case, a PO might have either jumped the AFM switch wires (maybe at the relay) or bent the switch in the AFM so that it's closed all the time. You might trace out the AFM switch wires and see if you can get back to stock. If you take the cover off of the AFM you'll see the small contact switch and how it works.

Where was that switch installed? Did you lose your oil pressure gauge readings?

Edit - or if you want to keep the oil pressure switch, get one from a 1978 (maybe later also) 280Z engine. Datsun went to the oil pressure switch and alternator current safety system in 1978. The 78 switch has the oil pressure sensor also but I think that you would need to wire it differently that what you want to replace.

Second edit - I'm not sure the 78 switch would work since it uses a different relay. By the wiring, it looks like the oil switch just completes a path to ground. But it might be worth a look.

Edited by NewZed