HybridZ

Q45 Carrier into Longnose R200

Neverdone

Hello all,

Like the topic says, I have ONE question.

Here is what I have learned in the past 4 hours of searching this topic all over this forum and several others.

1) I can take the vlsd carrier out of a shortnose R200 diff, and remove its crown gear, and attach the long noses crown gear.

2) This new short nose carrier/long nose crown gear combo, WILL in fact, fit in a long nose differential.

3) People get waaayyyy to caught up in making stock halfshafts work.

4} http://www.xenonz31.com/vlsdInstall.html <that's a pretty good write up.

However, TO ME, it seems like he doesn't finish, or he combines some steps or SOMETHING.

MY QUESTION, is about the output shafts.

Picture-010.jpg

^^^^ These are the OEM Q45 output shafts ^^^^

S30-088B-01.JPG

^^^This is a sweet picture of a longnose R200.^^^

From what I have read, the longnose R200's output shafts (Iteam #27 in the picture), will NOT work with the VLSD carrier. What every seems to say, "You need the VLSD output shafts". So to me, and I'm assuming here, that I am to plug in the Q45 output shafts, into the two holes on the side of the longnose R200 (the holes right next to the #2 in the picture), and that with these output shafts installed into the new VLSD carrier, the diff will work?

Does that work? Just plug um in? Is there any machining that needs to be done? Is there a clip or something I need? Has ANYONE done this before?

ALSO, before anyone says anything about the half-shafts that connect the output shafts to the wheelside companion flanges, I'm not looking for that info. I'll figure that out one out later. Before I go any further on that, I need to know if this will work, that the Q45, or J35, or S14, or S15 output shafts, do in fact, attach into the longnose R200.

Sorry if I sound neurotic right now, but I literally just got done reading "Can a VLSD carrier go into longnose diff" on about 6 or 7 different threads on this forum alone...with what seems to be no answers...

Edited by Neverdone

Hello all,

Like the topic says, I have ONE question.

Here is what I have learned in the past 4 hours of searching this topic all over this forum and several others.

1) I can take the vlsd carrier out of a shortnose R200 diff, and remove its crown gear, and attach the long noses crown gear.

2) This new short nose carrier/long nose crown gear combo, WILL in fact, fit in a long nose differential.

3) People get waaayyyy to caught up in making stock halfshafts work.

4} http://www.xenonz31....lsdInstall.html <that's a pretty good write up.

However, TO ME, it seems like he doesn't finish, or he combines some steps or SOMETHING.

MY QUESTION, is about the output shafts.

Picture-010.jpg

^^^^ These are the OEM Q45 output shafts ^^^^

S30-088B-01.JPG

^^^This is a sweet picture of a longnose R200.^^^

From what I have read, the longnose R200's output shafts (Iteam #27 in the picture), will NOT work with the VLSD carrier. What every seems to say, "You need the VLSD output shafts". So to me, and I'm assuming here, that I am to plug in the Q45 output shafts, into the two holes on the side of the longnose R200 (the holes right next to the #2 in the picture), and that with these output shafts installed into the new VLSD carrier, the diff will work?

The part you will be installing new is the carrier. You must (in most cases) use the input stubs (like what you show in your picture with splines) that were used on the carrier you swapped into the LNR200.

Does that work? Just plug um in? Is there any machining that needs to be done? Is there a clip or something I need? Has ANYONE done this before?

Yes, that's it, they work (long as they match the carrier as stated above).

ALSO, before anyone says anything about the half-shafts that connect the output shafts to the wheelside companion flanges, I'm not looking for that info. I'll figure that out one out later. Before I go any further on that, I need to know if this will work, that the Q45, or J35, or S14, or S15 output shafts, do in fact, attach into the longnose R200.

Again... so long as the input stubs worked on the carrier/diff you got them from.

Sorry if I sound neurotic right now, but I literally just got done reading "Can a VLSD carrier go into longnose diff" on about 6 or 7 different threads on this forum alone...with what seems to be no answers...

Swapping a short nose R200 carrier into a long nose R200 is fairly simple. The stumbling block for most is getting the wheel side to work for you...

So, I had to re-read your response like 3 times.

But the answer to my question is, yes.

Correct?

I do need to just plug in the Q45/S14/J30/S15 output shafts (the things in the color picture) into the long nose R200 housing...

Then I have a differential with limited slip capabilities.