HybridZ

are the bump stops need it?

These go on the strut shaft. To install them you need to remove the springs. If you are replacing the springs or strut cartridges(shocks) it is eay to put them in during the process.

You should not drive the car without any bump stops. It can damage the strut tubes or the upper spring seats. It is very harsh when it bottoms out as well.

After you drop the strut in and install the cap they slide down the piston shaft tapered end up and will put themselves in place after install. There a bumper between the top of the strut and where the piston rod connects to the chassis.

I thought it was tapered end down, because I'm pretty sure they are supposed to fit inside the strut hat, This is how the stock ones are installed I believe tapered end down.

I thought it was tapered end down, because I'm pretty sure they are supposed to fit inside the strut hat, This is how the stock ones are installed I believe tapered end down.

That is the way that I installed mine as well.

The factory service manual shows the bump stop installed tapered end down, sandwiched between the upper spring seat and the shoulder on the end of the strut shaft. We installed them tapered end up. The car had no bump stops when we got it so we did not have any example to follow.

The Energy bump stops do have a small shoulder for fitting in the way the manual (and Eddie) suggest, but I don't think they will stay put. It seems like they might be sqeezed out of place from tightening the nut that holds the strut shaft in to the spring seat. They slide past the shoulder and down the strut shaft easily.

Just for the sake of argument---why?

How does the position affect the progressive dampening function of the snubber?

I'm not saying it's a good design or anything but thats the best way it fits and on the stock rubber bump stops I had on my car they were angled down as well.

If you try to install them the other way the tapered end is above the threads on the strut and you wouldn't be able to get the strut through the strut hat to be bolted up.

Edited by 19762802+2

The only thing I can think of is the spring seat is cup shaped and the bumper sits in the cup. This could help keep it from spreading out as it is compressed which may increase the spring rate. It may also help keep it from being damaged from a very hard impact.

Another issue, trivial thought, is the weight will be sprung weight if they are at the top of the shaft and unsprung weight if they sit on the strut tube.

Apparently nobody has seen these sitting halfway down the strut shaft because the center hole was malformed....

I'm having a very difficult time 'visualizing' what you are describing as an 'assembly difficulty'---is this making another assumption that the larger diameter of the item in question must positively be seated against something during asembly or use?

I might buy Beerman's 'spreading' theory...but the comment on sprung vs unspring is dubious--the thing grabs the shaft and will ALWAYS be at the top of the shaft if you bottom the suspension continually. The aren't 'supposed' to move---and if they do you usually see them someplace mid-shaft as I described above.

Anyone else? Bueller? :huh:

• 1 year later...