HybridZ

Turbo Swap Question(s)

Ok, I finally have some time to work on my car again, and am getting ancy/bored waiting to save for parts to rebuild my l28et block (forged pistons, rings, bearings, etc.) and get my p90 worked on. I bought the motor as a complete running motor with the intentions of building it up and swapping it into my 82 na, so I have all the parts needed to complete a full swap.

After searching and reading, including flatblak's build, my question is can I use the stock zxt ecu and injectors on my na? I read the zxt fuel pump and na fuel pump flow the same. If I got it running on this "stock" setting, my plan was to upgrade parts as I go to prep for the new motor going in when its done. That way I wouldnt even have to really do any wiring or other major installs, and just plug and play +- a couple sensors. And then retune.

I have all the necessary components to MS fuel only, 440cc supras, etc. Would need to get a wideband. Should I just stop being lazy and start running/tuning the MS, or can I get away with the parts I have now?

"can I use the stock zxt ecu and injectors on my na?"

That seems pointless to me, and I don't think it would work very easily. You would need a ZXT wiring harness and AFM. I think the TPS is different too, and the engine speed sensor is different too (I think they both come off the distributor, but I don't know if it would work). I'm sure there are other things.

Just build the motor, swap it and do Megasquirt all at the same time. It will probably take a week to do the swap, but it will be way easier to do all of that while you're swapping the motor. Or don't build the motor, just swap it in and put Megasquirt on it. That's what I did on a stock motor (besides intercooler, 3" downpipe, and MS obviously).

I haven't run Megasquirt on an N/A car, so I don't know that it would really be an advantage, besides having the wiring harness done. Do you have the Megasquirt harness parts? I would build Megasquirt for the Turbo motor, I guess if you want to put that on your N/A setup, then go ahead. Just remember to build everything into the harness you'll need to run the Turbo motor. (Will you do fuel and spark? MS-n-S?)

"can I use the stock zxt ecu and injectors on my na?"

That seems pointless to me, and I don't think it would work very easily. You would need a ZXT wiring harness and AFM. I think the TPS is different too, and the engine speed sensor is different too (I think they both come off the distributor, but I don't know if it would work). I'm sure there are other things.

Just build the motor, swap it and do Megasquirt all at the same time. It will probably take a week to do the swap, but it will be way easier to do all of that while you're swapping the motor. Or don't build the motor, just swap it in and put Megasquirt on it. That's what I did on a stock motor (besides intercooler, 3" downpipe, and MS obviously).

I haven't run Megasquirt on an N/A car, so I don't know that it would really be an advantage, besides having the wiring harness done. Do you have the Megasquirt harness parts? I would build Megasquirt for the Turbo motor, I guess if you want to put that on your N/A setup, then go ahead. Just remember to build everything into the harness you'll need to run the Turbo motor. (Will you do fuel and spark? MS-n-S?)

I have the zxt harness, AFM, and TPS. I need a couple parts to do the whole MS swap. Fule pump, rail, boost gauge, wideband. I was gonna throw the turbo on it and run it in a "stock" configuration and as I acquire parts(money lol) go over to MS, then swap the built motor in. Im not completely set in my ways, just tinkering with the idea.

Plan is to first run only fuel, then eventually fuel and spark.