HybridZ

Fuel tank Question

I finally got the engine started the other day, but for some reason the fuel seems to leave the lines.

It seems that the fuel flows back into the tank threw out a good portion of the line.

Fuel pump is in stock location, can hear it even push air when it first engauges. This then stops after the engine starts and starts really sucking.

However it just seems to take a wile for the pump to even get fuel and its just right there.

I dont know whats wrong. :(

Thanks

• Administrators

Maybe I'm getting too old for this. I had to read it several times, and I *think* I know what he's saying, but I can't be certain.

Dunlop, could you clarify a few things....

What year of Z?

What fuel pump and where is it located? (saying "stock" doesn't mean anything)

Carb'd or injected?

Maybe I'm getting too old for this. I had to read it several times, and I *think* I know what he's saying, but I can't be certain.

Dunlop, could you clarify a few things....

What year of Z?

What fuel pump and where is it located? (saying "stock" doesn't mean anything)

Carb'd or injected?

78 280z

fuel pump is in stock location on the braket.... passenger side.

4 barrel DeMon carb

I have had the Gas cap off and didnt notice anything. Even does it with the stupid cap off.

What are you using for a pressure regulator?

Does it have return line back to the tank?

Are you making use of the charcoal canister?

Two port holly type. It reads 5.5 once the fuel gets to it.

No return line.

No charcoal Canister.

Also if anyone knows what hose to use for the slave on for a t56 let me know. I am confused on that also.

Thanks again guys.

• Administrators

No return line.

That pump is not designed to dead head like that. Must fix :wink:

No charcoal Canister.

I don't know how you're venting the tank, but you will need something. The canister is one of the 'nicer' ways to do it.

That pump is not designed to dead head like that. Must fix :wink:

I don't know how you're venting the tank, but you will need something. The canister is one of the 'nicer' ways to do it.

I have a vent filter off the lower hose.

What type of pump should i get then. The fuel pump i have must be the problem then.

Anyone know about the t56 hose i need as well... The one i orderd does hook onto my wilwoods 7/8's master but the connection going to the slave is a quick connect. I hate making new posts just over single questions.

Thanks again

• Administrators

The fuel pump i have must be the problem then.

I suppose that depends on how you look at it. I like the stock EFI pump. It's mostly quiet, reliable, and when run at low pressure will provide a LOT of fuel. It would serve you well with the proper regulator. If you'd rather keep your current regulator, then you need a different type of pump. There are plenty of electric pumps available for your application. Try jegs.com and summitracing.com. That'll get you started.

Anyone know about the t56 hose i need as well... The one i orderd does hook onto my wilwoods 7/8's master but the connection going to the slave is a quick connect. I hate making new posts just over single questions.

I believe that topic has been discussed a few times here.

You have a few options. I think you'd be better off buying a bypass fuel regulator and running a return line. Aeromotive universal diaphragm bypass regulator ($125), Barry grant diaphragm fuel bypass from jeggs(65is), and holly diaphragm bypass style(60). I went with the holley. I received the same advice RTZ gave you to run the same fuel pump with a return line.

Thanks again

The easiest way is to use a -3 hose and a roll pin adaptor for the slave side:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/640281/10002/-1

• 3 weeks later...

So I was just reminded about this thread, but I hooked up my holley 12-803bp Which is their carbureted bypass style regulator. Ran the fuel pump and it seemed like an aweful lot of fuel was coming through. Way too much for 5.5 psi. I disconnected the return line and it wasn't bypassing. I called holley and they told me that the max inlet pressure is only rated at 20psi and they did not recommend usage for this scenario. I'm going to play with it a little more this weekend but this may not be a good option. (By the way, I can't manage to find max inlet pressures listed anywhere for any regulators)

max inlet let is almost 0 psi with a stock efi pump and a return line.

get a tee and a pressure gage. loop the gas back to the tank with the return line and measure the pressure at the tee. It will be near 0, maybe 1/2 psi.

If your regulator isn't "bypassing" then it is not working or it is not connected correctly.