HybridZ

Car dieing issuse, need advice

Ok I just replaced my fuel pump and had my gas tank remanufactured. I have a 280z 1978 and when i start it it seem ok but between 1k rpms and 2500 rpm it seem like im misfireing or something, that atleast what it sound like. I can drive the car but after 45 min of driving it seem to just bog out like some one just cut the car off or like it lost fuel boged out and died. Ill coast over on the side of the road and let it sit. Ill restart it and it sound like it about to die, fuel pressure just falls and then it dies. but each time if I wait 15-30 min then the car seem to want to drive again. Now i done reading on the forms here and some one mention cheak or replace power transistor, or i was told other names for that was Ignition transistor, or ignition control mod. I was wondering do any one else think its that or have other suggestions. Oh also the ignition system is still stock.

I changed the filter and i changed a secondary filer before the pump. They brand new. But is it possible the fuel pump could be jamed with rust too?. the day it was installed it was giving good pressure, but next day and till now bearly 32 psi fuel pressure

ok lets see, it was running at 35-36 psi before it just wouldnt start one day, then bought new pump, then the car was running perfect hell almost 40 psi at idle. then next day, poof dead. Now im noticing it becoming harder to start the car. today it almost didnt start, took a few cranks, each day being harder to start. but i dont seem to lose much fuel presses when trying to start it. yes the pump is reading 12V, but ill cheak it again to make sure but last time it acctually said 14 v on the multi meter

36psi is good...

What is the temperature in your city?

Many thing are possible... as rust in your system.

Your problem look more for the fire or electrical sensors.

Before to change parts as Ignition transistor or ignition control you have some many check to make.

Fast test:

Did you have spark at your spark plug (when it don't start)?

Move\shake your connectors at the air flow meter, throttle switch, connector on your water temperature sensor for the fuel control unit...

I don't know if your wiring is as the original... At the "+" on the battery it have a big red wire with white connector; unplug it and try to start your engine. The engine can start, but will stop immediatly. Plug the connector and try again.

Give news

Jack

Edited by Jack_280Z

O i found out one of my fuseable links was screwed up, i made a new one and my fuel pressure went back to normal and the car was strong but then i restarted it again, then the car kinda died after one rev. now it just only cranks and just wont start any more. Im a do more testing any more. It will crank and crank when i try to start but sadly just wont fure up,. I have high fuel pressure while trying to crank it to start. Im a do more test on it tomarrow

But what the big red wire sapose to do?

It is for the fuel control unit... If you unplug it, the injectors don't work; But the fire stays there.

At that moment, you can check if the trouble is caused by too much gas in your cylinder.

What is the temperature in your city?

Jack

Edited by Jack_280Z