HybridZ

Radiator Fan Problems

I know most of you have gone with a different set-up. My questions here is more concerning how serious I should or should not take the warnings for products.

Having read about some over-heating issues, I told the builders to get a very strong cooling set-up. The got a custom radiator and shroud.

The issue is that the fan the put on it is the Extreme Perforance fan from SPAL. I was glad to hear that until, I went and looked it up and saw the following waring from various sites selling the product:

***30102113*** Disclaimer: This fan is designed for use in paved oval stock car racing. The fan motor is not sealed and should not be used in the following conditions. 1. High dust, dirt, and/or wet environments. 2. Unusually high ambient temperatures (exceeding 176 degrees F). 3. extended/continuous modes of operation exceeding one hour in duration. Standard warranty conditions do not apply to this fan.

SPAL extreme fans offer the ultimate advantage in airflow. The extreme performance fan is intended for racing use. This is not a sealed motor fan and should not be used in a daily driven car.

SO should I have them replace it? I did ask for a strong cooling system, but they know this car is going to be a daily driver. Is this a concern at all? Should I have said to make sure that the fan was appropriate for a daily driver. Are the warnings on items like these overly catious?

If I keep bringing up too many things, we had issues when my specific directions for the rollbar were not at all followed, they may not work with me anymore. (I am not even sure they picked the fan, it was probably choosen by the radiator builders)

Suggestions and advice needed on what to do.

post-5058-005457600 1301229529_thumb.jpg

post-5058-034570400 1301229626_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Boy, not much love left on the forum anymore. Three weeks and not so much as a bump.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it burns up then go with a different fan. LS motors aren't difficult to cool.

For as much as SPAL fans cost I can't believe how many threads I read where people are having cooling problems.

That looks like a nice set up you have. You should be good.

By the way, what accessory set up are you running? Looks really clean.

Edited by zdlite

The accessories are from vintage air, since I will be running vintage AC also. I will be running the Gen II mini with defrost. It is not a cheap set of accessories, but fits really well. Most people on the site seem to use other than SPAL aftermarket fans. I think that is why not too many replies. I consulted with the company that built the custom radiator and shroud, they said that it would be fine even for long trips if needed. It is just not designed to be run in constant use. (I figure if I ever move somewhere and have long commutes in heavy traffic, I may have a problem then.)

It has been shown (on this site) that its not the engine, but more the aerodynamics associated with the air flow and the S30 that creates the over heating problem.

I was just worried about loosing my fan and then my engine. I will have to research the need for an overflow tank, but that radiator is really thick so I dont know how that will impact everything.

Thanks

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

My LS1 conversion uses the original 3-row '77 280z radiator recored to a four row and the fans and fan shroud out of a 98 Camaro Z28. The fans & shroud are a perfect mate to the Datsun radiator and plug right into the LS1 harness and are controlled by the LS1 ECU. I have been running this for 8 years now and 35,000 miles. I have never overheated. It has run on 1 fan in 100 degree Texas weather with the AC on and it did not overheat. It has been through dust, rain, snow, etc. and it has never failed nor overheated. Everyone keeps trying to do something great when something very simple is absolutely bulletproof. I don't know where anyone got the idea that the aerodynamics of the S30 causes overheating. Stock S30's don't have overheating problems although some were known to get vapor lock if a heat shield wasn't left in place. The right radiatior and fan will keep the engine from overheating. Again - mine is a case in point. I ran it flat our in four 30 minute sessions at Texas Motor speedway and the only thing that got overheated was my brakes. The car can sit and idle in hot weather with the AC on full and never overheat. It just does not overheat.

I have no experience with your system but the warnings are pretty explicit about the type of duty they were designed for. As long as you're going to only drive your car on a asphalt track for no more than an hour at a time you should be fine. If you are planning to drive the car on the street - the place where you will actually have the most fun - then I'd forego using it and get something more generally usable.

Edited by Phantom

The stock radiator is a solid option, just heavy compared to an aluminum one. I was going to go that way but the L6 water pump let loose taking out the stocker just before I did my swap.

I would add that the early 240's had known cooling problems related to turbulence under the front end. On later years they added a chin pan to smooth out airflow through the rad. My stock L6 had cooling issues on hot days until I added a chin pan and upgraded to a 2 core radiator. Worked fine after that.

I have zero cooling issues with a JTR radiator and Taurus fan. Like most guys I didn't need to hook up the high speed setting on the fan. I also had to leave off the chin pan due to the JTR rad being too tall. LS swaps are not hard to cool.

Your cooling system as it sits should be pretty bulletproof, fan life not withstanding. My guess is the fan won't even run as long as the car is moving. I wouldn't hesitate to run it like you have it. Hard to believe the fan would just up and quit with zero warning. If it did you could probably drive it home as long as you keep moving.