HybridZ

No brake lights

Sorry, sorry...I've been searching. I'm just horrible with anything electrical.

1972 240

I've been having intermittent problems with my turn signals, but my brake lights went out and stayed out a few weeks ago. Bought new flasher units for both the hazard and turn signals, and bought a new brake switch. Checked all fuses. Everything works flawlessly except for the brake lights (which don't work at all). My voltmeter shows there's 12 volts at the brake switch. Am I missing a ground somewhere? A search I found makes reference to a ground for the brake/tail lights, but didn't mention a year. Any help? Many thanks!

Everything else functions properly. I switched around bulbs a few weeks back to eliminate the bulbs...everything appeared to work.

Next time I go out to the garage, I'm going to bridge the brake switch wires next time and see if, somehow, the new switch I got is malfunctioning.

Switch is functioning, although I'm not sure correctly...it completes the circuit when the plunger is pushed in when I have the "pull away" setup with the pedal. Not sure if that made sense and I'm also not sure if that matters at the moment, since the switch still doesn't activate the brake lights either way. Bridging the wires do nothing.

Pulled the fuse box, cleaned all connections and replaced most of the fuses.

Everything else works, except for the reverse lights...which were probably never hooked up properly after the swap. Never noticed or really cared to notice until today. Pretty much at a loss; trying to drive this thing (safely!) tomorrow!

Are you getting 12V at the bulb socket? If not, either the hot lead is bad or the ground is bad (or both!) Easy enough to fix either. (IIRC, both sides use a common ground to the body in the vicinity of the rear panel. This is often the culprit.)

Good luck with it.