HybridZ

Major Head Problems

jonzzer

Alright, so i was taking off my intake on the 82zxt motor and to my horror i see an ez-out broken in the #6 stud spot and a new bolt tapped, crappily in next to it. The new bolt looks like a M6 so not the strongest. Im wondering what are my options? If i bring it to a machine shop can they remove the ez-out or should i just get them to fix the ghetto m6 bolt? by re-taping it?

Thanks for any advice

The ghetto bolt will probably hold the top of the intake tight enough for a seal if silicone is used - but it's ghetto, and it could let go at any time.

A shop can definitely get it back to original, but it's going to be expensive and time consuming (head removal)

Two lessons to learn from this:

1. There's nothing more expensive than a cheap easy-out.

2. There's nothing more destructive than a gorilla with a ratchet.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Option 1:

heat the head, aluminum expands faster than steel. Try and rotate it out by using a sharp punch. The force of the impact will also help loosen the bolt. If it helps grind small dimples into the ez out to have a point to

Option 2:

If you can weld another bolt to it, do it. The steel weld will not stick to the aluminum. Be reasonable with the welding, preferably welding up so the melted bits fall down, not into the hole.

Option 3:

Very carefully grind the ez out with a small dremel size grinding stone. Buy lots of stones, expect to spend silly amounts of time, and damaged threads when you're done to get it out this way

For what it's worth, this is the most effective style of bolt extractor I have ever used:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=10523&group_ID=1262&store=&dir=catalog