HybridZ

3.9 vs. 3.7 Differential Ratio

Danno74Z

I would like opinions on which final drive ratio(3.9 or 3.7) I should use behind a LS1/T56 engine transmission combo? Also is 1 gear useless except at the drag strip to heat up the tires :rolleyes: Just use second gear from a stop? Thanks.

Danno74Z

I would like opinions on which final drive ratio(3.9 or 3.7) I should use behind a LS1/T56 engine transmission combo? Also is 1 gear useless except at the drag strip to heat up the tires :rolleyes: Just use second gear from a stop? Thanks.

Danno74Z

Its a 5% difference. That's probably 300 rpm.

• 3 weeks later...

I would go with the lower gears with a t56. The gearing on the T56 was originally with with lower diff ratio's. What did the doner car have in it? What do you intend to do with the car?

In choosing gears, it's best to set your highway cruise speeds with the differential ratio, (assuming a fixed high gear ratio), and choose the transmissions 1-3 ratio's from there.

Since you are past the planning point as far as transmission gearing, what are the transmissions ratio's? if 6th is .68 go for the 3.70s, if it's .5 then go for 3.90's (or lower).

I build a speed / RPM calculator for just this purpose. You might want to check it out:

Speed - RPM Calculator