HybridZ

Legit Fairlady Z

RACEBREADS13

Didn't all Z's come from japan? :P Anyways I believe that they came with 2 liter L6's in japan due to some law I believe but so its possible that they had a different cam (but they also had a smaller displacement possibly) I'm sure TonyD or someone else would know for sure.

Misinformation. The L20 was ONE of the engines available in the Fairlady, the L28 was also available. In Japan, insurance & the yearly road tax is based on engine size, and engines over 2.0L have a higher cost, which is why there have been so many Japanese 2.0L performance motors by different manufacturers over the years...My Dad brought back his 79ZX (titled as a 78 due to the Japanese going by manufactured date rather than actual model year) when we moved back to the states from Japan in '85. Normal L28E engine. I helped my Dad work on it quite a few times. My brother wound up with that car, and it sports a warmed over SR20DET in it now.

Edited by Matt K

Ok see mine has the original l28 in it but it has a external oil cooler. So there was no different cam? O your MattK off of RSW do you know anyone who would like to buy my fairlady? im from espanola you should give me a call 5059011865.

another question does anyone know what the weber big bore throttle body is worth? its about as big as a 240sx one.

Misinformation: My Dad brought back his 79ZX (titled as a 78 due to the Japanese going by manufactured date rather than actual model year) when we moved back to the states from Japan in '85. I helped my Dad work on it quite a few times. My brother wound up with that car, and it sports a warmed over SR20DET in it now.

I edited your post to properly reflect what it should have said...

The two most glaring points in the thread:

1) The Japanese go by DATE SOLD on the Shaken-Sho paperwork. You can have a 78 Fairlady 280Z (HS130) (I have two...) and also a 78 Fairlady Z which is an S30...

2) Normal L28? not by a longshot! The EFI system is FAR more advanced than ANY car deliverd inthe USA. They have a stepper-motor IAC on those cars, as well as very clean emissions. It is a very different control system than what came in the States.

Ok see mine has the original l28 in it but it has a external oil cooler. So there was no different cam? O your MattK off of RSW do you know anyone who would like to buy my fairlady? im from espanola you should give me a call 5059011865.

another question does anyone know what the weber big bore throttle body is worth? its about as big as a 240sx one.

The oil cooler is aftermarket, or Nissan Parts from another market. They did not come with oil coolers on ANY S130 sold in the JDM. They were standard equipment on Turbo Cars in Europe, though...

If your badges are "Fairlady 280Z" and the firewall VIN begins with 'HS130' then it's a legitimate Fairlady 280Z(X) and should have an L28.

If the fender badging says "Fairlady Z" and the firewall VIN begins with 'S130' then it's a 2.0 Liter Fairlady Z which has had an L28 put into it at some point.

From what I guess, the VIN is in the low 2000's or before...