HybridZ

SMB V8 Dual to 3 inch exhaust

evilz

Hello forum. I am new to Hybrid-z but have had Z's forever. Appreciate the good posts so far. It has helped me with some tough decisions regarding dual vs. single.

This is my 4th but first V8 240z. I have a small block 350 in it with headers, dual 2.5 inch pipes, holly ultra street avenger, Weiand manifold and a slight cam. Its delivering about 300hp. I have straight pipe on it now and I want a bit more rich sound to the exhaust note. I also want the new 3 inch muffler to tuck neatly under the rear. Take a look at this car ( not mine. Its the one mine wants to be when it grows up)

http://www.modified.com/features/0605_sccp_1971_nissan_240z/photo_03.html

The exhaust in the rear is exactly what I want. He is running a Borla XR-1 but he does not share if it is a round or offset, length and width. I am looking at a Borla XR-1 round but its 15 inches long. My custom exhaust guy says I can only fit 12 inches without serious bends. Looking for some help from you folks regarding the right set up. Please post pics if you have them. Again my goal is to have it tucked neatly under the rear where all you see is the pipe and not any parts of the muffler itself.

Thanks

Hello forum. I am new to Hybrid-z but have had Z's forever. Appreciate the good posts so far. It has helped me with some tough decisions regarding dual vs. single.

This is my 4th but first V8 240z. I have a small block 350 in it with headers, dual 2.5 inch pipes, holly ultra street avenger, Weiand manifold and a slight cam. Its delivering about 300hp. I have straight pipe on it now and I want a bit more rich sound to the exhaust note. I also want the new 3 inch muffler to tuck neatly under the rear. Take a look at this car ( not mine. Its the one mine wants to be when it grows up)

http://www.modified.com/features/0605_sccp_1971_nissan_240z/photo_03.html

The exhaust in the rear is exactly what I want. He is running a Borla XR-1 but he does not share if it is a round or offset, length and width. I am looking at a Borla XR-1 round but its 15 inches long. My custom exhaust guy says I can only fit 12 inches without serious bends. Looking for some help from you folks regarding the right set up. Please post pics if you have them. Again my goal is to have it tucked neatly under the rear where all you see is the pipe and not any parts of the muffler itself.

Thanks

I've installed lots of oval XR1s in the 16" length (40575) in S30s. Yes you need two 90 degrees 3" OD tube bends on a 4" CLR or less but you can get those from SPD, Burns, etc. You will still be able to see parts of the oval muffler if you're standing a little ways behind the car.

240ZComplete-2.jpg

I've installed lots of oval XR1s in the 16" length (40575) in S30s. Yes you need two 90 degrees 3" OD tube bends on a 4" CLR or less but you can get those from SPD, Burns, etc. You will still be able to see parts of the oval muffler if you're standing a little ways behind the car.

240ZComplete-2.jpg

Thanks for the help on the oval setup.

I still wonder if the XR-1 round or offset will hide well and what size. I am leaning more toward the rounds for the sound too. I am thinking the offset can be turned and the higher end up in the body. Take a look at these:

http://www.borla.com/products/prod_window.aspx?image=/media/prod_images/xlarge/40004S.jpg

It's not Borla, but I have a 2.5" to 3" setup with an offset Dynomax SS muffler. As you can see in the picture, it's angled to the left to allow maximum tuck, and when you look straight from the side, it follows the lower lip of the rear end pretty close, and is pretty well hidden. It's a pretty big muffler too, I think 19 inches long. Of course, you will need two 90 degree bends to make it work, especially with 3" pipe. In my opinion, it's not worth it to get a shorter muffler to try to make the bends less extreme.

I think center inlet/offset outlet is the best way to get it tucked under there for minimal visibility of the muffler. This is only based on having first bought an offset/offset muffler, and after an hour of trying to find a configuration that would work (it wouldn't clear the wheel well for the inlet, and also allow the outlet to be at the proper point/angle). I didn't even try for a center/center muffler. The 90 degree pipe bends around the rear diff mount well, and tucks right up and bends before the wheel well. I have clearance around everything, and it hangs without bouncing against the body.

**EDIT**

Correction, the overall length is 19", the muffler case itself is 14". It's a Dynomax Ultra Flo welded stainless steel muffler.

post-4330-090062200 1303138809_thumb.jpg

Edited by z2go

It's not Borla, but I have a 2.5" to 3" setup with an offset Dynomax SS muffler. As you can see in the picture, it's angled to the left to allow maximum tuck, and when you look straight from the side, it follows the lower lip of the rear end pretty close, and is pretty well hidden. It's a pretty big muffler too, I think 19 inches long. Of course, you will need two 90 degree bends to make it work, especially with 3" pipe. In my opinion, it's not worth it to get a shorter muffler to try to make the bends less extreme.

I think center inlet/offset outlet is the best way to get it tucked under there for minimal visibility of the muffler. This is only based on having first bought an offset/offset muffler, and after an hour of trying to find a configuration that would work (it wouldn't clear the wheel well for the inlet, and also allow the outlet to be at the proper point/angle). I didn't even try for a center/center muffler. The 90 degree pipe bends around the rear diff mount well, and tucks right up and bends before the wheel well. I have clearance around everything, and it hangs without bouncing against the body.

**EDIT**

Correction, the overall length is 19", the muffler case itself is 14". It's a Dynomax Ultra Flo welded stainless steel muffler.

Nice.. :) Thanks for the help. I got the borla XR-1 oval 12 inch. Its supposed to be delivered today. Will post pics or share why I sent it back. LOL!