HybridZ

Just finished T5 camaro swap

Hey guys,

I just finished my Turbo 350 to Camaro T5 swap and would like to share some tips I gathered across my readings.

1) The Turbo 350 and the T5 have the same output shaft splines. But the drive shaft needs to be shortened (in my case, with a '71 and the straight mustache bar, it was about 1.5")

2) To get to 1 bolt on the bell housing which is so close to the firewall on the passanger side, I cut a hole in the firewall

3) I installed the bell housing FIRST then the transmission into the bell housing. This makes for a far easier install of the transmission

4) Using the plastic clutch pilot line up tool is a BAD idea. It allows for too much slop and makes the trans hard to slide in. Try to find an actual input shaft to use as a clutch pilot tool. Or, make sure the disc is CENTERED before tightening the pressure plate. Just putting the pilot tool in does not fully center the clutch.

5) I used Lee's thread on using the ford F150 master and plastic clutch line. It works VERY well and is a cheaper/easier to replace/find alternative than the Tilton/custom line setup. Clutch feel is basically stock.

6) FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PROBLEMS GETTING THE CAR INTO GEAR AFTER INSTALLING A NEW CLUTCH: More than likely your pilot bushing is seized onto the input shaft, causing a hard connection to the engine. Put the car into 1st gear and "bump" the starter. This will cause the bushing to free up.

7) The angle of the Turbo 350 and the angle of the T5 are off. I could not line up the engine the way i needed to and had to redrill 2 bolt holes for the cross member to the floor pan. No issues so far due to this.

8) You have to trim about 1" off the left side of the shifter hole to line up the shifter, this is normal.

9) A sideways STOCK 240z lower rubber shift boot makes a decent fit onto the now crooked shifter. Hope that makes sense.

Ill add more as I think of it!

Abe :)