HybridZ

New 240z owner

I’m a new 71 240z owner. I bought the car for 1400$ I’m driving home the car today.. :lol: What I know so far is.... That my head lights and windshield wipers don’t work... :( I have rust on theshold plate rusted through and rust on the lower front fender common areas. From what I can see that’s all. The floor pans are solid. I’m happy about that one less thing to fix... :D

So my question is what else should I look for? Also about the head lights and windshield wiper problem a switch or a fuse? What do you think?

First, congratulations on the new "Z"! Second and most important use the search function. There is more information here than you can shake a stick at, literally just about anything you can imagine you would want to do to the car. As far as rust goes these cars are magnets for the stuff. Off the top of my head I would say check the battery tray, frame rails, dog legs, rear fender arches, spare tire tub, and keep an eye out for bad repairs. As in almost all things electrical, use the KISS principal, start with the fuse and be carefull not to let out to much smoke. Post often and good luck!

Ditto... Be sure to find and download the Factory Service Manual (FSM). Many problems in these old Z's can be traced to electrical connectors and Grounds. Check and clean them as you're going through the car. Most of these cars have been modified somewhat by previous owners so it's almost always an adventure... Remember: "Patience Is The Key To Joy".