HybridZ

what's wrong?

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so....you all have read about how my z caught on fire and sh@t, and when i went to try and start it again, the carb overflowed with gas. what's wrong? someone seemed to think it was the accelerator pump, and that would explain other problems i've been having. anyone have any suggestions? i need to get this thing running again. also, where can i find a book or something on the location and removal of certain parts on a sbc? thanks.

Guest Anonymous

I think everyone wants to know what kind of carburetor you have. It sounds like the floats are stuck or have sprung a leak in a float and it's sinking and fuel is probably pouring out of the bowl vents. Either rebuild the carb or get another one either remaned or new. IMO

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

the guy i bought it from said it was a holley 750. how much do carbs cost(new and remanufactured)? and how hard is it to install by myself? thanks.

bbbowtie is probably on the money on this one. Rebuild the sucker or get a new one. Many of my friends have had great success running the Edelbrock carbs. Installing them is pretty straight forward and they come jetted pretty close for many applications. If I were you I would check the fuel pressure first if its over 8psi it needs to be regulated down. A new carb is an investment but starting with something news is always a benefit. Carbs run about $250 to $350 depending on electric choke and CFM rating.

Good luck and I would sugguest installing it your self that way you understand how it works. Man when I was 16 I didnn't know squat about cars but I did know I wanted mine to go faster so after lots of busted knuckels, launched objects (my dad still razzes me about the sledge hammer) and cussing, I think I'll start building my Z. I'm 16 years OLDER now and hope I have the patience for this, we'll zee.

david icon_smile.gif

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

ok, so somewhere around $300 for a carb WITH an electric choke? what kinda tools would i need? and how do i check the fuel pressure, i currently don't have a gauge for it. thanks.

oh, and hypothetically, if i were to put in a fuel injection system....

1) does it have to be electronic?

2)if so, what parts(and how much) would i need?

3)if not, same question.

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: BadKarmaCreepin ]

Guest Anonymous

Call Summit Racing www.summitracing.com Buy a book on holley carbs the little orange book about $12.00 Get the list number off the carbs air horn buy a rebuild kit for that carb. Read the book it will take 1-2 hrs time. Set up carb by the book.

Fix it.

It is not hard to do at all. I was rebuilding them when I was 13 years old.

Get rid of the damn choke. You dont need one. For cold start pump the pedal twice and hold the throttle half way and turn the key until it starts.

Tool flat blade screwdriver, 1/2 inch wrench Set Floats with a 5/8 wrench and the same srewdriver. To remove power valve 3/4 inch wrench

Rebuild = new gaskets(buy the blue ones only they are reusable), new power valve ( it is probably destroyed with the backfires and hot fires) and a can of spray carb cleaner. If this does now work. Sell carb buy new one. This time buy a 650 vacume secondary.

Just do it. Dont let this whip you I know you can. This will be a good starting point for other repairs.

Do not start the car without the air cleaner.

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so no one thinks that anything else could possibly be wrong? it's definitely the carb then? thanks.

one more thing....ok, i have this dual exhaust thing goin' on, but the pipes come straight back from the engine and the rear diff is sitting on them, so when i shift hard, it hits the pipes HARD. i was thinking of just pulling the pipes away with some wire, as in wrapping it around the pipes and some other stationary beams. anyone ever have this problem? and how else would i go about fixing it? thanks.

I had the same problem with the 750 double pumper on the truck...no fire, but flooded badly...some dirt got in the needle and seat (no screens in the carb inlet). I just took the inlet pipes off the carb and blew (low pressure) air into the inlet. Then I put two additional inline filters on and haven't had a problem since.

Tim

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so i bought the rebuild kit, but not the orange book yet. can someone point me in the right direction of finding how to take the carb off on-line? i really need to get this done tonight so i can drive it tomorrow. thanks.