HybridZ

No tailights

Finally got my car out of the garage after a long year up beating, wrenching, bleeding and sweating. Only to find out a couple of problems with my car.

1. Radio seems to shut on and shut off

2. No gauge lights

3. No tailights, brake lights and flashers work

4. Engine coughs, sputters, and backfires, won't go above 43 mph in the top gear.

Any help???

Edited by Josh280z

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought an 82 280 and i have been having the same exact problems. I am a novice when it comes to these cars but im 90% sure its all a wiring problem. i took my dashboard out and looked around for a shorted out wire and my taillights came back on. And i (mostly) solved the backfiring problem when i re-wired (hard wired) the ECU.

If you find anything else out about these problems please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same problem 13 years ago when I bought my '82, I found a short in the bulk connector under the steering wheel from the headlight/turn signal switch. I followed the wires back and saw that the wire that powers everything you mentioned got hot and melted the plastic on the connector. I had to buy a new switch and then noticed that it was starting to happen again so I have removed that connection and have it switch separatly. Hope that helps

Check your engine harness, make sure all the connectors are tight, and that no rats got into your car. Check all of your fuses first for the lighting issues. Those are all on the same couple circuits. Also, the headlight switches go out a lot. Old Nissans are NOTORIOUS for crappy and mysterious wiring issues.

Does your radio turn on and off randomly while driving? When my alternator when out, about 20 minutes before my car died, the radio was switching on and off at random because there wasn't enough juice to keep it on.

If you need wiring diagrams, you can get the FSM at xenons130.com

Good luck man!

Edited by zx_drift

• 4 weeks later...

figured it out. Alternator is good, just replaced it. The problem is a burnt plug in the wiring harness for the light switch.

Glad you found it. Even years after I change a swith/plug out I'm stilling finding problems with it. I have read that it picks up a lot of resistance and causes heat so Im going to try and figure it out before I burn up another switch.