HybridZ

Using vent line for return?

emeraldlion

I was planning on using the 5/8 vent line that I have running to the filler neck, putting a tee in the tube near the tank, and routing a -8 an return line to the tee to use as my return. Is there any reason that this is a bad idea? All of this is in an attempt to route new and large enough fuel lines using my stock tank without modification

Should have said this is a sbc conversion carbureted with no plans to exceed 400hp

Edited by emeraldlion

Other than the return line being humongo... don't see why it wouldn't work. Or why it wouldn't simply go back into the tank at the 15mm fitting instead.

I don't see why a -6 return isn't sufficient size, personally, but how ever you want to do it.

Thanks Tony. I guess I need to recheck my tank. I have a '78 280 and I was under the impression the outlet was 7/16 the return was 5/16ths and the vent was 5/8ths with the other lines I capped are only 1/4inch. I am going to run a -6an feed line from the pump but don't want to run a smaller return line. I think I've confused myself some by reading to many posts with too much false info, trying to mix npt and an.

OKay after a moment of apparently not thinking clearly, I read that post again an had a little more insight. Thanks Tony. I wanted to tee the line so I could run the line to the filler neck also. I also was planning on running a -8 because I had read somewhere to run one size larger than your feed. But after reading some of the posts on grumpysperformance I found that -6 the entire way would support my needs. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, more than enough at -6!

Vent lines are really oversized -- if you are careful filling up above 3/4 tank and trickle it in compared to a full-on flow from the nozzle, I've gotten by with using 3/8 and 1/4" vent lines for everything, and totally remove the 15mm stuff altogether! Only 15mm I have are stubs from the tank to hold the nylon adapters to drop the size to 3/8 or whatever. I used standard fuel line then instead of that nissan braided/molded hoses. Have pressurized the tank above 5psi to remove dents with that setup!!! :blink: