HybridZ

Picked up an early 260Z

So big weekend and I will start with this picture:

i-GVNzRgj-M.jpg

The gf (Marsha) expressed interest in owning a Z car after our last club bbq and wanted a turbo car. We decided since I already had the #1905, I would keep it and refund the deposit on the car since it had been 4 months and the buyer had not picked up the car and closed the deal. I also have a 82 zxt with 63,000 miles……perfect project.

So while getting the car ready to be moved to the body shop, Will expressed extreme interest in #1905. He had been looking for a new shell for a project because his car was shot. I knew of a 260z that had been bought by a friend over the weekend and it was offered to me before he offered it up for sale to turn profit. Hmm, an all original early 260z in our future? Went to check out the car and after an hour of going over it, I was going home with it and surprising her with it! A few phone calls - horse trading and both cars went to new homes. So I drove the car home from NJ to the shop in the BX and told her to stop by. She fell in love and has now named it Baby Z because of how it looks next to EVIL Z.

So details on the car –

Early 260z build date 1/74. CA car with 91,xxx miles. Flat tops were ditched for rebuilt 3 screw SUs and still has the 4 speed behind it. This is the first Z I have driven/own that everything works. Seat belt buzzer, defrost, radio, heat…..I mean everything. Car starts right up and drives well. Even had all the original jute and clips that hold down the carpet. Minor rust on the floors, two spots really because since the car came to NY it has been outside. One of the weather seals are leaking and both jutes were soaked with water. Paint has been touched up in spots but retains some original paint throughout the car. Dash is cracked of course but least of our problems. But we love this car!

The car won’t be painted for a few years but will get head light covers, front air dam, wheels and a mirror. We are planning a turbo swap but will wait until all parts are gathered. For now she can just drive and enjoy the car. I think I enjoy driving it more than EVIL Z!

Pictures:

i-LPGPBZ7-M.jpg

i-HCbrZhD-M.jpg

i-k7fWRTV-M.jpg

i-QBfMCKx-M.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Turbo donor was stripped last weekend and engine will need a full rebuild. So it has been sold and the money went towards buying back the L30ET short block I started to build last year. I think we are going to start with swapping in a R-200 from the 280zxt and then work on putting in the Z32 trans. Heavy duty trans behind the stock L26! :rolleyes:

Updated look: We put my old wheels from my first Z on the 260 this weekend and we think it looks great! Wheels are 17x8 0 offset and they clear the stock spring perch. Next spring we will install lowering springs and new struts.

i-ps9w99v-M.jpg

Also on the fun run this weekend, the alternator died. First upgrade will be installing the 280zxt alternator and ditching the voltage regulator in the stock 260.

I'm not sure what I'm more jealous of the car or the space you have to work on them! Very nice find.

I'm not sure what there is about it but I get the biggest kick out of driving the bone stock Z's myself. Maybe because my expectation isn't as high. My sons auto I just love cruzing in it. Man is it ugly but still get compliments. Even the AC works now.

Thanks Jeff.

All this car is missing is AC. It was great driving it about 100 miles a few days ago.....quite compared to my Z. Felt like I was just driving a normal car. Can't wait until it gets all new bushings...then it will be a blast to drive.

Yeah, I drove it to CT and back saturday. It is a solid car, and everything works! I had never heard the s30 seatbelt buzzer before. It was a little hard keeping up with Clive in evilz and Dave in his turbo car on the backroads, but it was a great time. The 260 could absolutely be an everyday car.

• 2 weeks later...

To avoid double posting for those who care :P here is the turbo build thread for this car: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/71489-newbie-l30et-build/page__pid__963945__st__120#entry963945

So anyway, so we picked up some adjustable struts and lowering springs for the car. We will wait until the Spring to install these parts. I am looking for another 240z parts car so I can powdercoat the suspension parts and have them all ready to go for the car. The 260 will be getting a CLSD from a 87 300zxt I have had sitting for over a year. I will also keep my eyes open for a Wilwood brake upgrade for sale here on HBZ.

Lots of plans, now to get rid of all these extra parts to buy parts for this car. B)

• 2 months later...

So small updates on this car.

Been putting together an audio system for this car for the last 2 months.

Having a custom box made to hold one 12 inch L7 Kicker. Also picked up a nice Fosgate amp to drive that sub. Bought a set of FG door panels from Rayven to mounct a set of Focal K2 6.5 speakers in the door. I hope to have this done by next week and snap some pics of it. The idea is to get it to look as close as to factory as possible. Still need to find another 4 channel amp for the 6.5 speakers. Going with an Alpine head unit with Ipod connection.

Turbo swap - still picking up little parts as I go.

Also working on getting a 13inch front brakes setup for this street car. Pics and details to follow.

• 2 months later...

So the weather is finally starting to come around here in the northeast, it isn't like we had a real winter anyway.

Here is the updated look of the Z with the 5 ways adjustables and lowring springs installed:

DSC01134-XL.jpg

DSC01139-XL.jpg

Next this weekend is to install the poly busings to the steering rack and steering coupler to remove the play in the steering wheel. I also finished the alternator swap a few days ago. I bought an external voltage regulator from rock auto and it seemed not to work. Could not get the 75 60amp alternator to recharge the alternator at all. So I got a zxt 70amp internal regulator from Cygnusx1 and everything is working great.

Here is my quick write up. For my early 260z model my voltage regulator controls one of the relays for the gas pump and interlock for the seat belt. I didn't "wire" around those two features yet and plan to do so once I do the turbo swap. Ok so moving on to pictures.

Left is the 280zxt 70amp vs 75 280z 60amp alternator:

DSC01123-XL.jpg

Then I cut the connector off from the external voltage reg from the 260z:

DSC01125-XL.jpg

Be sure to pick up this part (diode) from Radio Shack:

DSC01124-XL.jpg

So the male connector only has 6 wires. The white and black wires are not used and can be cut back and taped. After the yellow and white/red wire can be connected. Then the white/blue and white/black wires can be connected. Be sure to have the silved band end of the diode connected to the right wire (white/black) wire to keep the current flowing in the correct direction. If not, once you turn the car off with the key it will continue to run due to the loop system. The is fixed with the plug MSA sells for the 240z but the 260z has a round connector. See pics below and be sure to test out my connections on your system before you finalize it all. You can tie the wires together on the other side of the plug (female) or jumper across in the plug but be sure to check color of wires as they are not the same on both sides of the plug.

DSC01131-XL.jpg

DSC01133-XL.jpg

Done with that part and will swap to a voltage reg once I do the turbo swap.

New MOMO wheel came in the mail and waiting on the hub to get this part installed.....it looks and feels great!

Still working on getting the music and power windows done within the next 2 months but as track days approach we shall see.

• 4 weeks later...

So this past week my gf and I did a track event with the rest of our club and I can say she is hooked! The 260 ran great all day and gave her no issues. It was great to see them both (gf & 260) get around Lime Rock Park. Since she wants to do more track days with me it looks like the turbo build will turn into a NA build. Since makes for a much nicer driver on the street and track. Already in talks with a local guy to prep a nice E-31 head and looking for triples. The CR for this build will be 10:1.

Anyway here are some pics from Monday:

Getting ready to head out!

IMG2290-XL-XL.jpg

IMG2368-XL-XL.jpg

IMG2489-XL-XL.jpg