Trashed in in July of 2011 and about 2 weeks later I picked up this gem:
I picked this beauty up for $1500, drove it home with expired tags, got pulled over and let off because the cop thought the car was cool, and began attacking it.
I stripped it and sold the hood, seats, some interior pieces, engine and miscellaneous knickknacks for a total of just under $600, so it I really only payed about $1000 to buy and register it.
If you're too lazy to click the thread here are pictures of it when I got it:
Here were the visible rust spots:
Luckily the majority of the rust was on replaceable parts, I'll get to that later.
It has no power anything, and it only has one mirror which I thought was weird. No rear wiper, and it doesn't even have the warning display. Most of the sensors for that system aren't in the car. I'm going to be driving it stripped down, with only the dash and center console and 2 bucket seats in it. Can't wait to weigh it.
So the original lip was beat to all hell so that was the first thing I trashed. Then I began parting it out. traded some stuff and sold some stuff(see above). Then I parked it for about 4 months while I began swapping what I could over, removing what I wasn't going to use, and just cleaning up the car.
I swapped out the rear hatch since water was getting into it and it was rusted, swapped out the driver side fender with a red one, and put a Turbo style hood on. Also got some type 2 MSA sideskirts and put them on.
The biggest project I had to deal with was the suspension. on my 2+2 I had adapted s13 rear suspension using a custom made tophat. I had to get a pair of the same coilover brand for the fronts, (kei office for those who care/know the brand) and chop the front strut tubes off and weld on the sleeves similar to what Mightymaxx did. But I'll have a whole post about the suspension later.
Nothing really got done for a while since I had all the suspension out, got it sandblasted and dropped it off with my friend to disassemble and powdercoat what he could. That process took like 2-3 months since he worked on it on and off, but it only cost me $350 for the powdercoating and putting things together. Not bad.
While that was being taken care off I was gathering parts, I had stripped the engine bay and painted it black, and really just selling a bunch of crap.
Don't have a pic of the bay empty and painted but here is one with the engine and rad in
Here is the engine that went in and pics the night we put it in.
Fuel rail cortesy of cockerstar, I actually ended up using AN fittings since I had to run a new FPR
Here is a pic of when I stripped the sound deadening using my trusty $2 dollar plastic scraper. It ended up breaking from the cold.
Custom SS clutch line like a boss
Figured I might as well since I had SS brake lines.
Got some body parts to put on, yes its a real one, urethane.
And this is it this Monday getting aligned at the closet shop I could find, it really needs a true alignment and corner weighting because of the coilovers.
Putting the HKS Hi power on, from my 2+2, luckily all it needed was to be shortened. The rear half fit perfectly over the subframe. For those who don't know, I bought an s13 hi power that was already chopped off for like $100 and got 2.5in piping with no car on my 2+2. That was adapted to the stock exhaust flange, so I had to chop that off since I got some nice coated headers.
Had it done here, these guys are awesome.
They were working on this on the side. Its an built LSx powered dune buggy, fully custom frame and suspension that cost more than an new car.
Right now as it sits, before heading to a body shop to have the Gnose, and wing put on.
I wish I had a better picture of the underside because it is perfect. The crimp welds aren't effed up and the rails aren't beat like a hooker. I'll get one when it gets up on a rack again.
Edited by BluDestiny, 01 December 2011 - 10:24 AM.