HybridZ

Basic questions

I knew I wouldn't be able to stay away from s30's for long. I'm back, and waiting for delivery of my shell next weekend. The goal is to have it sputtering around by June 1st on a budget of $2500 (or less). I'm into the shell for $500 (plus a trailer rental for a day and gas, so we'll just say $600), and just picked up an 87 Camaro t5 for $220 and a 92 350ci (TBI) for $240. I'm missing so much that it isn't funny, but I don't want to blow my budget ordering the wrong things.

I've already ordered the JTR book, but it hasn't come in yet.

I suppose we can start with the basics that I THINK I need, and hopefully I can get a little help with finding the answers. Any comments, feedback, or corrections are more than welcome.

Flywheel - I have a 1-piece rear main seal, since it's a 1992 block. What I don't know is whether I'm looking for external balance, what size ring gear, or how many teeth. I'm guessing the ring gear and teeth depends on the transmission (and therefore the starter that I can mount), but this is what I'm tentatively looking at picking up (I like that it's reasonably lightweight and inexpensive):

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/601250/10002/-1?parentProductId=1221208

Starter - Since I'm assuming I'll be using components for a 153-tooth flywheel, I'll assume I need a 153-tooth starter as well. I'm not sure if I'm overlooking the actual mounting pattern, since I'm using a 1987 t5 transmission, though. Will this work?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/10065/10002/-1

Throwout bearing - Wasn't included on the transmission. Is this the complete throwout bearing assembly?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/601101/10002/-1

Shift fork and slave cylinder - I can't even find any information. What the heck do I need?

Intake manifold - Finding cold, hard facts has proving difficult in the GM community. I've found some sources which state that the TBI heads are a completely different shape than other 350's, but I'm hoping that I can just toss a carb manifold on and start my base tune. Maybe they're just saying that one could purchas an adapter on the tbi manifold to mount a carb? All I want is to pick up a simple carb manifold and 4barrel carb on Craigslist and slop it on top of this engine to get the ball rolling.

My hope (and this is obviously wishful thinking) is that I can have the powertrain assembled and ready to run by the time the shell shows up, and I can just toss the JTR mounting kit in and get a driveshaft made up for it. I hope (much more realistically) that you fine folks can help me out, or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance, and it feels really good to be back.

If its all here, its badly organized. Ive spent 4 hours trying to find definitive answers both here and on gm boards but havent been able to get many facts. Im not the type who is afraid to roll up my sleeves and do some research, but you cant find what isnt there.

If its all available, i will happily read any relevant threads. Just post a link, ill apologize for not being able to find it and thank you for your help.

I took a good loom at a few carb manufacturer sites, and i think ive verified that 87+ iton heads have different center mounting holes for the intake manifold and possibly different valve locations, so a special intake manifold would be required after all.

Edited by drummingpariah

The 4 center bolts are angled vertical, an older intake will work, but the center holes will have to be drilled, also the ports on older intakes are smaller. any vortec intake will work. I have an 88 tbi motor in my car, professonial products hurricane intake for vortec heads bolted right on, ports are very close too.

Google is your friend. A lot of that basic info is easy enough to acquire. Your combo is fairly similar to my first motor and tranny package, which was a load of fun! Right up to the point in time where it blew up. 

Read the FAQs and read up on basic SBC info, sounds like you have a set of vortec heads. I would start by writing down casting numbers and figuring out EXACTLY what you have.

Yeah, that's exactly the same problem I had been running into. Finding decisive data proved very difficult. The 350 is now sitting in the back of the garage and up on Craigslist, since I haven't been able to find everything I need to put it in the Z at good enough prices to make it worth my while to swap. I'm just going to put together an l-series for now.

I would either need to buy a VERY specific carb intake manifold that ONLY fits 87-95 TBI iron-head engines, and was NEVER offered by GM ... or I'd have to buy older carb-compatible heads, or newer vortec heads. Since all the older heads I've been able to find would need a pretty hearty cleaning before I could install them, and I'd need new head gaskets, just getting a carb mounted on this engine skyrockets to a ~$500 ordeal. I can almost get a running l28 for that.

I just did another search for a vortec, I couldn't find any carb vortecs out here, found a few non-runner older iron-heads, and everything that was running was over a grand. I don't know when they got so expensive in New England, but there it is.

I'm abandoning this plan and going back to slapping together a cheap Nissan l6 to get this on the road, then I'll start a more serious plan to make power, and put it down to the tarmac.

im running a 1994 LT1 out of a buick roadmaster this is the only carbureted intake manifold available for the LT1 GM PN# 24502592 google that and use one of the craigs list searches that lets you search multiple areas, I paid about $250 for mine.