HybridZ

77 Datsun 280z won't go into gear

Was this something that happened over night, or a gradual issue?  Did you just purchase the car? Did the car sit for an extended period of time? Sounds like when you are pressing the clutch pedal it isn't disengaging the clutch enough.  Slave cylinder, or master cylinder issues could be the culprit, could be a cracked clutch fork there are many possibilities.  Its possible the clutch is toast but we need some more information than it just  won't go into gear.

I resently purchased the car about a week ago it was driving great and shifting smooth I drove the car eariler yesterday everything was fine that night I went for a late night cruise as I was leaving my house as I was trying to shift into the gears it felt really notchy and hard to get into gears until I came to a complete stop in neutral with clutch all the way down to the floor wouldn't go into any gears. So I had to turn the car off shift into 1st gear and start car in gear to make it back home

I just checked my slave cylinder every time I touch the black ruber part on it it squirts out fluid a leaks so I believe this may be the problem. It looks simple to replace just remove the 2 bolts holding it on. Is there a way to bleed the line without having the tool?

Tool? You can bleed the clutch hydraulics at the bleeder on the slave cylinder and someone in the car to push down the clutch peddle. You need a small 8mm ring spanner for the bleeder. If it full of fluid its probably worn out.

Tip: Loosen the hydraulic hose before removing the slave cylinder. That way you can screw the slave cylinder off by hand.