HybridZ

Do I Need a New Combo Switch?

Onion

A couple weeks ago, I started having issues with my headlights. The wouldn't turn on every time, and each time I tried, there was a higher chance they wouldn't turn on. This gradually kept on going until they stopped working altogether. I took apart my steering column and saw the white wire with the red stripe came unsoldered from the switch, so I soldered it back in place. This fix worked for a couple days, and then the same thing happened again, they wouldn't turn on every time, and gradually turned on less and less until they just wouldn't turn on at all. I took the switch out of the car again, and disassembled it (following a 240Z combo switch rebuild PDF I found). It turns out that the two plastic pieces that rub against the two metal plates are bad. One is a bit worn and cracked, and the other is annihilated (photo attached). Can I find a replacement for those two pieces, or do I need to drop $250 on a switch? 

3W7UC.jpg

3W7Vi.jpg

I have never seen a remanufactured Z light switch. Last time I checked MSA and Black Dragon, the light switch was NLA.

Options:

• Buy up a few used T/S - Headlight switches  and repair them. I keep a few repaired switches around for testing and replacement. If a light problem comes up you can swap in a repaired switch. 

• There is also a member here named Dave who used to provide a switch repair service.  He goes by Zsondabrain over at ClassicZCars.com and he also has a thread in the vendors forum on HybridZ for his Z  headlight harness (recommended) and other Z electrical upgrades. Dave's headlight harness takes the load off of the switch and allows the use of higher wattage headlight upgrades.

Edit:  You can do a HybridZ member search for Dave:  HLS30-08077

Edited by Miles

Dave's handle over at classiczcars.com is Zsondabrain.

I also don't believe its practical for many Z owners to have several sets of light switches to play with. This would be cost prohibitive and pretty tough find switches in the first place.

Sending it Dave is the best all around solution as he has the experience to do it right the first time and has the stock of replacement parts to fix it.

I can also send you just a replacement switch  from a spare set I have if you'de like. You already know how it goes together!  I'll just unsolder my switch from the four wires and you can solder it back on to your harness and put the screws back in that hold it down. The switch itself is the same over all the s30 models, but the wiring harness ends aren't all the same.

Drop me a note to z240@shaw.ca and we'll take it from there. I'll even clean the contacts and test it before I send it. Bonus! Imagine getting parts that work...

Jim

Thanks for the replies. Seeing as how my Z is my daily driver, I'm gonna need a switch as soon as possible. z240, I'm sending you an email about the switch and the cost. I also found a guy selling a switch for $30 pretty close to my house, so I'm gonna buy that as well and keep it for parts. Even if its junk, its not much out of pocket. 

Step 1, get a pair of micrometers and take measurements!  There is a gent

looking for dimensions to make these using a 3D printer in the S30 forum.

Correct step 1, keep those springs safe as they appear to be completely

impossible to replace.

I fabbed up a replacement button using a shrub irrigation dribbler, carefully

shaving the height and contour with a razor blade.  I expected it to be an

epic failure, but it seems to be holding up.

Dan is right, I may be able to print you up some new contacts on my printer.  Those parts are pretty small, but I'd be willing to give it a try if you want to measure it up for me, or alternatively send one to me.  My printer is a Prusa Mendel, and it works pretty well for different parts. Though I haven't printed anything that small, I'm definitely willing to give it a try.  Send me a PM.

Thanks for the feedback, guys, but I just picked up two combo switches (one with turn signals included) for a really good price. I wired everything up and it works! It might be because its daytime, but my headlights seem really dim. I'll try them out later and see how it goes. 

Pharaoh, I'll send you a PM, I'm still interested in fixing my original switch and selling that off. 

Thanks for the feedback, guys, but I just picked up two combo switches (one with turn signals included) for a really good price. I wired everything up and it works! It might be because its daytime, but my headlights seem really dim. I'll try them out later and see how it goes. 

Dim headlights are typical on these cars.  You really need to get the headlights to run off a relay instead of passing through the switch.  Dave sells the headlight relay harness upgrade that is plug and play.  MSA sells the same harness (supplied by Dave).

Dim headlights are typical on these cars.  You really need to get the headlights to run off a relay instead of passing through the switch.  Dave sells the headlight relay harness upgrade that is plug and play.  MSA sells the same harness (supplied by Dave).

I spoke to Dave about it and I'm very interested, but at the cost of $150, I'm going to have to put up with the dim headlights. They're only dim on idle, but as soon as I give the car a bit of gas, they brighten right up. 

I spoke to Dave about it and I'm very interested, but at the cost of $150, I'm going to have to put up with the dim headlights. They're only dim on idle, but as soon as I give the car a bit of gas, they brighten right up. 

Check your charging system to make sure the alternator , belt , and also alter. pulley ( make sure it's correct size ) all good . Also idle rpm .

Check your charging system to make sure the alternator , belt , and also alter. pulley ( make sure it's correct size ) all good . Also idle rpm .

Is there any possibility that my cam interferes with the idle power? Its one of the higher stage cams from MSA, my car is absolutely gutless under 3000 rpm. Currently don't know idle RPM as I have electronic ignition and a 240Z tachometer. I've got the 280Z tach sitting on my desk, I just need to swap it over when it gets a bit less hot. However, by ear, it sounds like the car is idling normally. 

Idle video, if it matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99CW2gb4AP0

Edited by Onion