HybridZ

1978 280Z 2+2 Price suggestions?

I bet the asking price is in the 3-6k range. Looks to be in ok shape from the pictures you posted,check all the common spots for rust. 

Actually they are asking for 9K which I felt was way too much. What do you think it is worth? Can you hint the common spots for rust? Not only am I new to the Z, I'm new to cars completly. Thanks for the reply.

Here is more info:

Bosch Fuel Injection 2.8L

4 Speed Manual transmission 

Signed rear view mirror by Mr. K (No value to me to be honest)

"Disc Brakes are all rebuilt, completely rebuilt front-end, new bushings, new shocks, new tie rods, new brakes, etc."

ZRustGraphic.jpg

9k seems steep for a 2+2. I wish I could help, but I really can't put a price on a 2+2. Just not familiar with the desire level. I would think if it was a coupe, maybe around 4-6k depending on a thurough inspection, any major rust and it quickly drops below 3k.

Edited by seattlejester

Seattle's got it right. $9K is too much for a 2+2, granted it looks like it's in great shape, but the fact is there's a LOT of 2+2's still out there that are in good shape, mainly for the fact that they're less desirable, certainly less collectable.  So  it's time for some slick talking.  if it's in graet shape, no rust to speak of, $3K-$6K would be a good price. Since that's what you can buy other Z's in similar condition for.  it's nice having the front end all rebuilt, but that doesn't mean anything. You replace part A with an identical part A, have you added any value?  no. The bushings, maybe only because they can be a pain especially on the back.   That car looks nice,  but is it work 9K?  That's something you'll need to answer. At $9K, you've probably got some time to think about it.  If it was a coupe in the same condition, maybe but 2+2's are as sought after.   Other questions you didn't answer, is How many miles?  Garages?  one owner? Full actual records?

Seattle's got it right. $9K is too much for a 2+2, granted it looks like it's in great shape, but the fact is there's a LOT of 2+2's still out there that are in good shape, mainly for the fact that they're less desirable, certainly less collectable.  So  it's time for some slick talking.  if it's in graet shape, no rust to speak of, $3K-$6K would be a good price. Since that's what you can buy other Z's in similar condition for.  it's nice having the front end all rebuilt, but that doesn't mean anything. You replace part A with an identical part A, have you added any value?  no. The bushings, maybe only because they can be a pain especially on the back.   That car looks nice,  but is it work 9K?  That's something you'll need to answer. At $9K, you've probably got some time to think about it.  If it was a coupe in the same condition, maybe but 2+2's are as sought after.   Other questions you didn't answer, is How many miles?  Garages?  one owner? Full actual records?

Thanks a lot Pharaohabq! I really needed that picture as I was not familiar with the terms or areas for them. Well I really have to negotiate with him as I did not get approved for a loan! :(

It was Seattle's pict, but it's certainly worth 1000 words.  I know, I've typed them before :wink:   I'd say keep looking unless you really want to 2+2 for some reason.  You should be able to find a decent coupe that needs some TLC, or revival for under $3K or so...  Lets see:

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4275468468.html

Found that one, it's not too far, n doesn't look bad in the picts.  Figure 10% off for negotiation, and you could get it for I'd hope $3500.  

The thing to remember about these S30's are that they're all at least 35 years old and that alone will give them "some personality"   you're not going to find one Especially on the east coast that's 100% perfect condition. but you will find one that's 100% perfect for you...  So keep that in mind.   Also, since I'd guess you're a little younger, you might want to call up Hagarty or your parents insurance and see if you're going to be able to insure a Z. A lot of times you'll get insurance sure, but they won't cover it for anything but Book. whereas in a classic, usually Agreed Upon Value is the best way to go, tho you'd have to have it garaged usually for that. but that may vary in NY so give them a call before you buy a car...

Phar

I actually do want a 2+2 to stand out of the crowd. For insurance I was considering USAA military auto insurance so I will look into what they cover in detail. I really do like that 280Z listed as it convinced me a 2+2 is what I want and it happened to be green which is my favorite color. The seller is a 70+ year old vet so he would also for it to stay in hands that he can relate to. I'm hoping when we met up this weekend he lowers it even more when we get to talk in person as we have been communicating through his nephew with no military background. I do want to remove those bumpers.

Do you really think I will find another 2+2 in great condition? It was pampered for the last 20 years.

Edited by geant90

Sounds like you are pretty set. Just keep in mind, that usually in a car buy someone leaves unhappy, so dealing with someone you like may not be the best idea. 

Pampered in NY can still mean plenty of rust from proximity to the ocean, salted roads, etc etc. Just make sure to get a thurough and I mean thurough PPI, preferably through a garage that deals in classic cars.

I don't know if you will be able to find one in that condition, but you can definitely build to that spec if you have time. If anything go see the car, it will give you a chance to get a feel for what you consider good condition. At that price I don't think it will be flying off the shelf or anything. Make sure to take a friend who can keep you from going all googley eyed when you see it.

I actually do want a 2+2 to stand out of the crowd. For insurance I was considering USAA military auto insurance so I will look into what they cover in detail. I really do like that 280Z listed as it convinced me a 2+2 is what I want and it happened to be green which is my favorite color. The seller is a 70+ year old vet so he would also for it to stay in hands that he can relate to. I'm hoping when we met up this weekend he lowers it even more when we get to talk in person as we have been communicating through his nephew with no military background. I do want to remove those bumpers.

Do you really think I will find another 2+2 in great condition? It was pampered for the last 20 years.

a 2+2 to stand out from the crowd.  I don't want to burst any bubbles here, but yes, the 2+2 is noteable for it's rear seats. It's a bit longer and in MY opinion it suffers in performance for it.  It's one thing to stand out from the crowd for having something unique or well built. but it's another thing to stand out from the crowd for say having big ears. this is a slippery slope I know, I just want you to understand that there's more ways than one to stand out, both positive and negative.   I drove a 2+2 for a couple years, I never had any other Z guys say "wow, that's cool it has a back seat".  Mine stayed folded down 90% of the time.  The openable rear windows are cool tho.

That green one appears to be in good shape and we'd assume it runs well for that price.  Green is a nice color on these, but it's cosmetic.  A $3000 Coupe with a $2000 green paintjob is a lot cheaper than a $9000 S30.  The extra 4G's could buy a lot of "stand out".  No you may not find another 2+2. if that's what you want then go ahead. $9K is kinda the high end.

You get what you put into it.  Seattle is again giving very sound advice, Get a good Pre-Purchase Inspection from somewhere knowledgeable, not just in cars, but in Z's specifically.  There are a few Z shops in NYC so you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you need recommendations, I'm sure people on here can point some out.

Another way to look at this is that cars are just things. You should not be buying any car for the idea of what other people think of it. You should buy it, especially a classic car, because YOU like it. Not because it's going to make you look cool at school or get the girl, or keep you up with the Jones' (kardashians ;-B) It's YOUR enjoyment and use that matters. If you really think that back seats will benefit YOU, then go for it.  If its not for YOUR enjoyment, then keep looking.

Don't try to get your gf back there either, it's pretty tight, the front seat works better, trust me :wink:

As for insurance, Classic insurance is MUCH cheaper and covers better than most other forms so please look into it.

Phar

Thanks seattlejester and Pharaohabq.

I do plan on seeing it with a few friends and will inspect all the known places for rust. The car itself has new brakes and never saw a winter (for the past owner) as its been garage during the season the past 20 years. I want the 2+2 because I like how the extra 11inches and different roof shape give it a American car look. I orginally wanted a muscle car so if I drop a V8 I will have no regrets. Thanks for the input I just got to make sure there is not much rust and the body is solid!

Thanks seattlejester and Pharaohabq.

I do plan on seeing it with a few friends and will inspect all the known places for rust. The car itself has new brakes and never saw a winter (for the past owner) as its been garage during the season the past 20 years. I want the 2+2 because I like how the extra 11inches and different roof shape give it a American car look. I orginally wanted a muscle car so if I drop a V8 I will have no regrets. Thanks for the input I just got to make sure there is not much rust and the body is solid!

Well Great, 2+2 it is then...  Congratulations, making sure you're happy with your decision will help make this car a lifelong friend.  Hopefully you'll be able to continue the care the previous owner had extended to the car. 

If you get the car, a few things you may want to check in addition to rust, just to be sure: 

• One The cowel area, It's a pain in the ass to get open, but get in there and reseal all the seams. That's the #1 area that allows water into the passenger compartment, soaking the carpet and adding to the rust on the floor panels. 
  • Two: check the heater core, any drips, replace. MSA sells a replacement. Same reason, keeping the interior dry, not to mention not breathing antifreeze. 
  • Three: the rear hatch seal/taillight seals. If these are bad, you'll get a lot of exhaust fumes inside the car. no fun.

The bottom line is the cars book value is around the $3-3,500 mark. So unless you get a "declared value" insurance policy,you will never see your 9k back. The car looks clean and well kept from the few pics you provided, but it sounds like the 9k price tag suffers from the " I owned this car for years,sentimental value" syndrome. I bet a  5-6k stack in person will buy this car. I bought my 76 2+2 a few years ago from a member here. I paided 3K and it was in worse shape than the the car you are looking at,but it also had 3K worth of aftermarket goodies on it that were all put on just a few months before i bought it,so the 3K price tag made sense to me.If you are set on a 2+2 i say go for it, do not be mislead by others members opinions. I love all S30's but i actually was looking for a 2+2 when i was in the market for one, i wanted a car with rear seats so i can cruise around with my wife and daughter. So for me i have the best of both worlds, Owning a S30 that me and my family can enjoy,we are really big into cars.  

Edited by Graphitez