HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Laswell

z31 Turbo needs help

I have an 87 300zx turbo that is having some running problems, I'm not sure if it is all related or not. 

Cold Starts:

Cranks over, fires a few cylinders, then dies. This will repeat for a few times but eventually it'll start then keep on running. 

Once running/warm starts:

hesitation/misfire all over the rpm range. 

I thought the problem was ignition, so I replaced the cap,rotor,wires,and plugs. Didn't Fix the problem. 

Anyone have Ideas?

NewZed    56

Give some history on the car.  It could be an old turd that's been sitting for 12 years, or a daily driver that ran perfectly until you started having problems.

Vacuum leaks fit the second symptom.  FPR or fuel pump leaking down, the first.

update.... now the car won't even run. I tried starting it this morning and it'll just fire on a few cylinders then quit.

I can hear the pump prime the system when the ignition is on, and also keep on running for a few seconds after the engine dies. 

History:

had it for about a week now. bought it off of a guy who didn't  know much about cars. Problems were the same with him. 

I'm going to check the fuel pressure/ filter and rail and see whats going on. I'm thinking that it primes the system, runs, fuel pressure drops, then it dies.... sound logical?