HybridZ

Vacuum routing with MSA TB ('82 N/A)

Connor280ZX

So I recently installed an MSA TB. I'm having some issues with the EGR and possibly the vapor valve working. As far as i know the vac advance is working

Main reason is probably being that the stock TB has three ports, for the Vac advance, EGR, and vapor valve, and the MSA one has only one.

image_zpscbgds01j.jpg

So what i did to try and conteract this issue was to bypass the TVV, and run most of the lines off of a splitter. I had made one soft mount port in the aftermarket boot that i used with the MSA tb like the stock boot. I ran the Vapor line there first.

image_zpsiq6l3j5m.jpg

However, i noticed that if i gave the engine any more than 10% throttle, i would get FULL EGR causing the engine to run like crap unless i stepped on it. I knew this because i felt the valve retract completely into the housing. It wouldn't release immediatley when i let my foot off either, causing a near-stall.

I switched the EGR with the Vapor line, and now i get what appears to be no EGR, becuase i guess there wasnt enough vacuum from the boot. And i need EGR because i'm running a cat (Cali laws), and it will ping unless i have the timing at 5BTDC or lower, which rapes my top end power. I think now that the vapor line is hooked up to the splitter from the TB, it's getting too much vacuum and sucking in fuel, causing black smoke (Line was also dripping when i removed it).

So, what can/should I do about this?

• 2 weeks later...

Get in to the FSM and figure out which hoses need ported vacuum, which need full time vacuum, and which need switched vacuum.  Then figure out where to get those vacuum sources, using tees off of the MSA TB, or making new holes.

Not sure what you mean by "vapor valve", maybe the charcoal canister purge line?, but there are no vacuum hoses that should ever pull raw fuel.  Could be that you've confused your hoses and you're actually looking at the FPR vacuum hose, and your FPR is damaged and leaking fuel.

At the least, figure out the right names for what you're looking at. 

I just browsed through that section and have to admit it's not very clear.  I'd guess that "air pipe" means throttle body port, based on the diagram and port locations.  

So, even based on your picture, the EGR and vacuum advance lines shouldn't change at all with throttle body.  They're connected to the TVV.  The canister has it's own ported vacuum line.  Called "vacuum signal line' in the second drawing.  So it looks like you could have a T off of the MSA port, with one hose going to the top port of the TVV, and the other going to the cap on the canister.  Usually the cap is labeled, and the vaccum line is a small one. You should check your old throttle body though to see why there are three ports.  It may be that they all actuate at different times which would mean you won't be able to match it exactly with the MSA TB.  You can usually see the ports inside the TB, by the blade,

Nissan really regressed in 1982, in FSM quality.  

post-8864-0-46858400-1432763271_thumb.png

post-8864-0-29324300-1432763283_thumb.png

Edited by NewZed

I just browsed through that section and have to admit it's not very clear.  I'd guess that "air pipe" means throttle body port, based on the diagram and port locations.  

So, even based on your picture, the EGR and vacuum advance lines shouldn't change at all with throttle body.  They're connected to the TVV.  The canister has it's own ported vacuum line.  Called "vacuum signal line' in the second drawing.  So it looks like you could have a T off of the MSA port, with one hose going to the top port of the TVV, and the other going to the cap on the canister.  Usually the cap is labeled, and the vaccum line is a small one. You should check your old throttle body though to see why there are three ports.  It may be that they all actuate at different times which would mean you won't be able to match it exactly with the MSA TB.  You can usually see the ports inside the TB, by the blade,

Nissan really regressed in 1982, in FSM quality.  

Yeah, i've acctually swapped back to stock a few days ago just in fear that the way it was tuned and the unknown factor of the functionality of the vacuum systems would be harming my engine, it did ping a bit after all.

When i looked at the stock TB's butterfly, there were three ports positioned slightly apart, and closer/further to the rotating shaft of the butterfly, so I'd say you're right about each valve getting certain vacuum at different throttle. The black smoke was maybe caused by the timing being so retarded (To compensate for no EGR), though it did look like gas dripping from the purge line when I took it off, now that i think about it more, i'm not 100% sure it was gas, maybe just a bunch of condensation.

I had the TVV bypassed, and was running everything off of one splitter, instead of 3-4 splitters if I used the TVV.   

The Black Smoke was caused by high vacuum sucking raw gas into the intake! That was probably gas dripping, it can get up there with a malfunctioning diverter diaphragm or vacuum sucking hard enough to pull liquid up the line. Depending on which line it is, if you fill your tank full enough, you can have liquid fuel AT the canister or very near it, and sucking hard vacuum will siphon that right up into the intake.

You won't puff black out the back on an LSeries uncatalysed until into the low 10:1 or high 9:1 AFR's... Catalyzed and lit closer to high to mid 9's but getting hot and meltin' the cat!