HybridZ

Anyone in the Seattle area willing to build me a new wiring harness for 240z

Hi, Im Igor and Im located in Auburn Wa. Im working on a 72 240z. I may be jumping the gun with asking for this assistance but Im not sure when would be the right time to tackle this project. Currently my car is just a bare shell that Ive almost completed doing the metal work on so there is nothing there. The previous owner unplugged and pulled out the wiring harness with the whole dash console so im not too sure where all plugs go and is basically a pile of wiring harness. However Ive got another complete 72 Z as a parts car that I was going to transfer bits off little by little and transferring the wiring harness myself, that way Id know where everything would go. But recently Ive been reading up and it seems like the old wiring is not very reliable and not to mention old and quite a few have upgraded to an EZ wiring kit and have rebuilt their whole harness. I found a brand new 21 plug EZ wiring kit for sale locally and bought it. But am afraid of attempting this on my own because I basically have 0 electrical knowledge and would be biting off way more than I can chew. My case may be alittle more trickier as I have a 3rd 78 280z that I was going to pull the engine, tranny, aluminum radiator and electric cooling fans etc out of and transplant it into mine. The motor is EFI but Ive got triple webers that I was going to be swapping on instead so no need to worry about wiring an ECU. Not sure if there will be other differences in the 78 280z wiring but essentially I will be using 3 cars to build one. If any one is able and willing to help me out with this it would be extremely appreciated! Again Im not sure when would be the correct time to do this but I figured it would be easier when there is a bare shell rather than uprooting and redoing a whole harness from a finished car. If interested I can give you mine number as well. Thank You

You are going to want to have everything mounted, but removable before attempting such a task. That means dash in place, lights in place, engine in place etc. You want to be able to accurately measure the amount of wire needed to reach each place (antenna, tail lights, fuel pump, horns, fog lights, turn signals, reverse switch etc etc). You might think you are in the right ball park, but without the actual item there and how it is going to route behind panels or in the rocker it is going to be pretty difficult to get everything done reliably.

The dash is a pain so that will have to just be mocked up so it can be removed to rewire. On that front you are going to want a lot of wire. You also have to decide what you are keeping and what you are not. It would be a real waste if you decide you want EFI after all and have to hack up a nice wrapped wiring harness to add additional wires.

It is good that you realize you may be inexperienced and seeking help. Bad electrical work can be annoying to downright catastrophic if done incorrectly. Be advised an entire rewire is a huge task, even with an EZ kit it could take a while and require quite a bit of modification and wiring supplies aren't cheap after all. I know shops that charge a few grand for that kind of work, and sometimes for good reason. You are going to have quite a bit of time before everything is in place, so read up on it and practice.

Once you are ready to tackle the job and have adequate supplies feel free to hit me up. I can help out for a bit and get you started and run by the basics. Auburn is a bit out of the way, but not too bad of a drive. I've made worse.

There is nothing to be gained by completely changing the harness. With no electrical or car wiring experience, you will have the the same or more issues trying to adapt a generic harness to your Z verses just learning with what you have. Spend your time learning the stock harness as you replace it in the car, then upgrade it a piece at a time, as needed.

There is plenty of discussion here about upgrading the harness. Headlight relays, ignition improvement, better fuse blocks are common areas of concern.

Edited by z240

• 4 weeks later...