HybridZ

Arizona Z Adjusters

I thought I'd share my latest modification with the group since I've searched and searched for something like this. 

Problem: Arizona Z Car Coilovers have their adjustment knobs on the bottom of the insert. There is a provided solution for the rears (Just attach hose to be knobs) but nothing for the front. You have either the "Set and Forget" method, or you can remove the insert every time you want to make a change. Neither of these are good solutions. 

Solution: Extend the adjustment knob! Many companies make extention knobs for cars that have inaccessible rear strut tops. These basically consist of a sheath, a rigid metal cable, a knob and a cup to mount over top of the adjuster knob. All these pieces attach together with set screws.

I bought a set of these from Fortune Auto (http://shop-fortune-auto.com/collections/upgrade-accessories-and-replacement-parts/products/rear-adjustment-extenders) The 9" seemed like a good bet for up front, I ordered the 14" for the rear. 

When I got them I was bummed (but not surprised) to find that the cup was too small. Not way too small, so a quick upsize with a drill was all that was needed.

SIn0v4.jpg

Yahoo! A sweet extension piece attached onto my coilover! (Ignore the foil tape, I'm trying to keep all the settings the same!)

E6hp1B.jpg

Detail view of the knob. You can see the cup at the other end, attached over the old knob. Hopefully these indicate proper direction, if they don't we will find out quick!

Now to get the whole mess packaged into the front knuckle. I drilled a slot in the back side of the knuckle, just big enough to slide the outer sheath through. Needs to be a slot because otherwise the radius is too sharp, and the adjuster will bind. The slot is 2 5/16" holes, 1 5/16 up from the bottom of the knuckle (measured on a 77 280z knuckle, your mileage may vary). I then removed the knob the sheath from the adjuster, and threaded the sheath through the slot. Thread the insert back onto the knuckle and there you go! Adjustable front Arizona Z shocks!

mCAn5T.jpg

All back together! You can see the slot, this is as low as is possible to drill into the knuckle. Be careful, these things are THICK!

r2podw.jpg

x2!

I'm getting the rear adjusters tomorrow, I'll be able to take more photos of all the component pieces! Hope this helps some of you out there. 

• Like 1