HybridZ
grannyknot

Trying to get the ECU to cooperate

Chickenman    4

MegaSquirt is really nice to work with. And they have a ton of support on their forums. I don't know if I've mentioned this already, but this is an excellent book to buy for people building and tuning any Stand-alone EFI system. Highly recommended!!

Performance Fuel Injection Systems by HP Books. DIYAutoTuning developers Matt Cramer and Jerry Hoffman are the Authors.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/performance-fuel-injection-systems-hp-books/

Amazon.com and all online book retailers can get it.

Chickenman    4

I think the comments form the guys who despise it are  from the ones who don't properly understand any EFI systems. The capabilities of modern stand alone EFI systems are pretty similar. The differences are in the User Interfaces. Some GUI' are better than others.

There's also the issue on the build it yourself kits is that some people just don't have the necessary electrical and soldering skills to assemble the kits. There's a heck of a lot of difference from soldering automotive wires or house plumbing and electronics soldering. Unfortunately those people tend to over estimate their skills, and then end up with problems. Human nature being what it is, they then blame the manufacturer for their own lack of skills

The kits are really for those who are experienced in working on electronic circuit boards and soldering small scale electronic components. If you are not experienced with that, then you are far better off spending the extra money and buying the professionally built units. Just my .02c beermug.gif

Chickenman    4

The Jim Stim is a handy little device. It is also very helpful to to run a Bench Test  with all of the sensors connected and Calibrated, then play with the program and Load and Modify some tunes. You can get a good idea of how the GUI works before installing it on the car. Most of the developments at DIY Autotuning is done by simulation. Haltech, SEM and all the manufacturers all run simulations first.

DIYAutoTuning likely has a stock tune ready to go for that engine. Juts put in a request in the appropriate forum and they'll usually fire one off to you. You could even ask them to include the BMW when you buy the Hardware. They can easily throw it on a CD or send by E-Mail.

Ideally you can have all the sensors calibrated. The stock base tune loaded. All the Ignition sett-up and timing Maps svaed and loaded. Then you can install it on the car. Turn the key and have it fire on first crank. That really impresses your buddies!!

BTW, if you run into any issues, there are lots of people on the DIY Forums who can help you and and even  remotely tune in Real Time. All you need is to make sure that you have a good wireless connection available to your Laptop when connected to your car. An have a Remote Connection program like " Team Viewer " installed and running. It's free for Home users:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/?pid=google.tv.missp.s.ca&gclid=CjwKEAjwqdi7BRCL6Zmjk5-rsTwSJABmrVab40mPv8TXqOzntxSazdMJkq5V40-9WCUgkaod0pF2_hoCgwXw_wcB

Chickenman    4

Juts a note on Coolant and Air Temperature sensors. If ordering the GM style, make sure you order genuine GM or AC Delco sensors. I've found that aftermarket ones vary considerably in the values. Even Standard Blue Streak was nearly out of GM's allowable tolerance range. The GM/AC Delco sensors were dead nuts accurate ( Temperature vs resistance ) .