HybridZ

Turbo intake or NAPS intake for most torque

JelmerPatrol

I'm in the proccess of building a L28 turbo for my 4500 pound Patrol.

Since it is suchs a heavy beast I need as much low down torque as possible so this is what i'm thinking of/what i already have:

JDM L28 block

US Flat top pistons

US P90 head

Euro turbo exhaust manifold

JDM RB20DET turbocharger

I also have 3 intake manfolds:

US turbo intake with bigger TB

US N/A intake

JDM NAPS intake with the twin butterfly TB

Which intake would be best to use for me? I think the NAPS because it has one small butterfly which opens first and one bigger butterfly which opens later.

32700562646_7931f3c39d_b.jpgIMG_20170204_140748849 by Jelmer Eppinga, on Flickr

32617608731_f778e3044d_b.jpgIMG_20170204_140730491 by Jelmer Eppinga, on Flickr

32617608091_65d929566e_b.jpgIMG_20170204_140351061 by Jelmer Eppinga, on Flickr

32741208315_845d658832_b.jpgIMG_20170204_140327120 by Jelmer Eppinga, on Flickr

I wouldn't bother with the twin plate... all it does it give you resolution. At about 3/4 throttle, the secondary plate will start to open and go from full closed to full open in the last 26% of pedal travel.

That likely will not coincide with when boost comes on, so that small plate will act as a big restriction to the incoming flow from the turbo... 

The thing to consider is the runner length, really. the P65 has those runners that are long like a diesel intake, and were used on the heavier Cedric, Gloria, and Leopard Sedans.Coupes. THAT would be the one to run. With the single big plate. The throttle body fits on any of the intakes, you will see all the intakes have the teardrop shape to accomodate the upper small throttle plate. That TB can be retrofit easily with any of the single plate units. A 50 mm body will work fine. if you use a larger 60mm plate, I'd recommend non-linear throttle quadrant and cable throttle application to modulate the tip-in better in a slippery or muddy condition.

which one do you have BTW, the L28 or L20E dual plate body?

In US terms, the primary body is around the size of a Dime on the L20E and the size of a Nickel for an L28E... Maybe 15mm vs 25mm?

Total flow in both cases is equivalent to the single 50 used on the other intakes. they TBs as stated are  completely interchangeable.

It the L28 one. Block/head combo was N42/N42.

It will be cable operated, that is how I made my current TB from a 280ZX too. (Patrol comes with a single carb from factory and F54/N42 block/head combo)

So it would be better to swap to the stock 50mm TB than. P65 would be nice but it has to come from Japan.