HybridZ

LSD Install R200 Issues

HuD 91gt

I purchased an OBX LSD (Yes I know there is a thread, but this does not apply to just OBX users) and I am in the middle of installing it.

I purchased Rbryans install kit, and followed his directions to replace the washers and bolts.

Where my issues comes in, is that when measuring the ring gear backlash, I am getting a huge variances.  Ranging from 0.008" to almost nothing.   

I will be tearing everything down again and trying again making sure all surfaces are spotless.  I installed new Timken axle bearings on the carrier, but I did not touch the pinion.  To install the bearings I put the carrier in the freezer, and the bearings in the oven at 200 for a few minutes.   One bearing slid right on, the second I didn't get quite in time.  So I found a press to push it on the extra 1/4".   

Is it possible I could have bent the ring gear using the press?  I made sure to torque the ring gear (I did 3 steps) evenly in a criss cross fashion.  This didn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when taking it apart?  I purchased a selection of shims today as well so I will be trying different combinations to get it within spec if I can figure out why the variance is so large.

Sounds like what you're really talking about is ring gear runout.  There's an assumption made, I think, that runout is small compared to backlash, so it's inconsequential.

I don't think that the ring gear will deform permanently, but it might take the shape of the surface it's bolted to.  Maybe remove the ring gear and measure runout of the other surface.  Or loosen the ring gear and see if you can move it to where runout is low.  At least you'll know the gear is right.  Isolate the various components, the bearings, the gear, the carrier, etc., take measurements  and see where the variance comes from.  Take a bunch of measurements before you tear it down.

I'm just spitballing, I've not been in to a diff that deep.

• Like 1

I just googled what ring gear run out is. In fact I suppose that is what is happening and will be a good way to measure. But I in fact was talking about backlash. With the pinion locked in position, the amount of "forward and backward" movement the ring gear is able to move.