HybridZ

High compression e85 help

mundosuarez

Back story......I have a 1978 20z than I'm completely rebuilding. First z and never worked on one before. I've owned it for about 2 years daily drove it and what not until I got a promotion at work and received company vehicle because of it about 4 months ago. Now I'm completely tearing down my car to send it to get media blasted so I can begin whatever body repair I need. At the same time I would like to begin my rebuild of the l28 in it. I know the over all goal is to v8 with a straight cut 5spd but for now I just want to learn the car in its new configuration for a year or 2. Also most of the money is going into suspension and chassis so I don't have a ton of money left over for engine.

Well my question is... what combination of f54(which I have) block and cylinder head would give me the most compression on e85. Right outside my neighborhood is a gas station with e85 so I wouldn't have to go far to get it. I would also be getting rid of Fi and going 4barrel just because I know how to work with them. Also the added fuel flow capabilities of a 4barrel will help out with e85. I've thought about fully forged internals with 90mm bore. I don't want to spend more than 3.5k on all the engine work including machine shop work. This car will be driven on the weekends to shred the twistys or track days.

I know everyone says the search button is my best bet but there's so much information and all the heads and stuff get me confused because I'm such a newb. If I could please get some help from all you L series gurus out there. Any information will be appreciated

I would also be getting rid of Fi and going 4barrel just because I know how to work with them. Also the added fuel flow capabilities of a 4barrel will help out with e85. I've thought about fully forged internals with 90mm bore.

A 4 barrel calibrated for gasoline will _not_ help with e85.  The required mixtures and jetting for E85 are very different.  You will need to get a carb that was calibrated for E85 - do a Google search for E85 carburetor.

You would have to change out all your fuel lines as well as get a higher volume pump that would be happy to flow E85. The downfall though is with a manual system you are going to be in a bit of trouble if you are stuck somewhere without E85 and have to fill with regular. Without flex fuel, and especially with a carb that is not going to be fun to drive.