HybridZ

Fixing/Filling Holes in the Firewall....

dat240zg

Any of you guys have experience filling small holes in the firewall? Due to eager beaver previous owners portions of my firewall look like swiss cheese - lines for aftermarket A/C system, random holes for ventilation ( :?: , etc. While my motor is out for the turbo swap, I wanted to fix 'em all and get it looking cherry again.

Any tips/pics, encouraging words.....

Bryan

Dat240zg

I did all the holes in my entire engine bay. Lots of work. For the larger firewall holes (heater hose, AC lines etc), I welded a patch of sheetmetal in. Placed the piece on the cabin side and welded it in, then gave it a couple of tack welds in the engine bay. Then smoothed with the grinder and filled with fiberglass reinforced filler, sanded smooth, then finished with plastic filler. Be sure the sheetmetal around the hole is straight. Depending on how the PO cut the holes, they may be very wavy. Use a hammer and dolly to get it straight.

Tim

Thanks guys. I think that's what I'll end up doing.....but, just for the sake of wasting time, ever thought of cutting out a large section of, or the entire firewall and replacing with an uncut one from a parts car or something along those lines?

I know that I'm probably asking for more than I know of, but what can I say, just loco like that :-D .

Bryan

Dat240zg

• 4 years later...

Hey guys,

I know this is an old posting, but I wanted to do my searching first. Do you think using JB Weld in the engine bay side walls and firewall would be good? I don't have a welder, and am trying to find a good way to smooth out my engine bay while the engine is out.

Thanks!

One thing you could do, go buy sheet metal and tin snips trace all the holes onto the metal cut them out and call mobile welder have all the preices ready wouldnt take him more then a hour and couldnt cost to much.. what ever you use you have to get paint to stick I dont know how well paint sticks to jb weld?

I have heard of a few people doing that before. I don't think it is the "best" way of going about filling holes, but I'm sure it will work. I did that to holes in my floorpans once. Sold the car a little after that.

Davy

Actually best bet is to buy "metal bond" its an automotive body product for gluing body parts together. You could glue it from the inside and fill the outside. No welding, no spatter... and a seriously hardcore bond.

I know a guy who put custom sideskirts on an astro van with the stuff, and it worked flawlessly.

Evan

BTW, I think its an evercoat product.

Actually best bet is to buy "metal bond" its an automotive body product for gluing body parts together. You could glue it from the inside and fill the outside. No welding, no spatter... and a seriously hardcore bond.

I know a guy who put custom sideskirts on an astro van with the stuff, and it worked flawlessly.

Evan

BTW, I think its an evercoat product.

saw that too. it will never ever ever come off without needed a full panel replacement if you decide to put that behind whatever it is you're gluing.

that stuff is tough!