HybridZ

t5 with 350, flywheel?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've decided that I want to go with the t5 and a TPI 350 for my z, I've noticed several folks on this forum are using the t-5 with more horsepower than I'll ever see, so it seems like it should hold up. My question is, since the t-5 never came behind the 350, can I just bolt the 305 flywheel up to the 350 and everything will work? are there any problems with engine balance that need to be considered? These motors are both internally balanced, aren't they?

I figure I'll also need a different starter (since the flywheel is smaller) is this true?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff E.

The T5 did not come behind the 350, but don't let that stop you. Provided that you are using the V8 GM T5 (not the V6 T5), the input shaft will work fine through a 153 tooth flywheel that is meant for a 305. Yes, 350's are internally balanced so they do not need a 'special' flywheel or 'special' dampner (this excludes 383 stroker motors). BTW, this is exactly what I am using.

Davy

Guest greimann

There is a special stock Chevy starter for the 153 tooth flywheel, but if you get one of those gear reduction starters (HIGHLY recommended) they are universal.

Except for the 1985 305 TPI cars, all of the TPI cars are one piece rear main. They are all "externally" balnced in the sense thay use a flywheel that is NOT zero balance. This is true of all of the one piece rear seal motors. The 305 flywheel will work on the 350 however. As noted you must use the 153 tooth flywheel since the 168 will not fit in the T5 bellhousing.

• 13 years later...

I have a 1989 s10 with a roller 350 95 or newer i dont know exactly what year though it had the nv3500 and that blew so i bought a 1985 camaro t5 what will i need to install it? 350 is pretty much stock any info would help tremendously ive been searching and searching and cant find no info