HybridZ

Top Mount Single Turbo Manifold (RB26)

Zhadman

I've been seriously considering switching the RB to a single. I've been looking into the Garret GT30R... but I haven't had much luck finding a Top Mount Single manifold. There's tons of turbo's out there... doesn't seem to be many manifolds (outside of Japan). Any recommendations?

Well... I don't have the welding skills to handle that sort of job. I'm sure there are some reputable shops in SoCal that could do the work... I'll have to look around.

I've heard enough bad things about the SSAutochrome units that I'm probably better off staying away from them.

I've been seriously considering switching the RB to a single. I've been looking into the Garret GT30R... but I haven't had much luck finding a Top Mount Single manifold. There's tons of turbo's out there... doesn't seem to be many manifolds (outside of Japan). Any recommendations?

First, the GT30R is a little small for the RB26. If converting to a single on an otherwise stock engine, you should be looking at the GT40 or Innovative GT61. The stock Nismo turbos will make as much power as the GT30.

On the manifold, I'll look around and see what I can find. The bad thing is that all the manifolds out of Japan are 304 stainless, which is crack prone due to carbide precip. at elevated temps. I gaurentee you 100% that a Trust manifold will crack. The HKS ones are much better because they use a much heavier wall and all of the pipes are one piece, flange-to-flange. I haven't had one crack yet, but it may eventually.

The stock Nismo turbos will make as much power as the GT30.

Perhaps I'm confusing myself... the stock ceramic bladed RB26dett turbos are Nismo units? I thought the Nismo units were upgraded turbo's. (I'm showing my lack of knowledge on the turbo subject here)

As for the GT30 being a bit small... I'm just getting into the turbo sizing game. What power range will the GT40 put me in? Right now I don't really want anything more than 400... perhaps I should stick with the stock twins?

The HKS ones are much better because they use a much heavier wall and all of the pipes are one piece, flange-to-flange. I haven't had one crack yet, but it may eventually.

What do the HKS units run? Do they come with a specific flange or can you order them with flanges for a particular turbo?

What do the HKS units run? Do they come with a specific flange or can you order them with flanges for a particular turbo?

They come cast with walls thick as stock or thicker, really bulletproof. It comes in a number of flanges. That's if you get the cast one or they also make stainless ones which are even more expensive. Call HKS for what you want and grab a part number. Let me know the part number and I can get you a price if you need. (most likely will be special ordered).

There are several grades of Nismo turbos. There is a stock Nismo (R32) version GT-R (not the new $170,000 one). The turbos that come on that engine have steel exhaust wheels vs. the regular ceramic ones. The compressors are a 60 trim vs. a 50 trim and a .60 a/r housing vs. the stock .48 a/r. The exhaust housings are also larger. The big dog of the Nismo aftermarket turbos is the GT Lemans. They're $1800 each, but can make close to 700 on the pair.

The GT30R is only rated to around 500hp, give or take, but the turbine wheel is very small. It will choke an RB26. If a turbo is rated for 500 hp @ max air flow, you won't make 500 whp; not even close. If the RB26 came with a stock, single turbo, this would be it. Don't get me wrong; it's a good turbo, but it leaves you with NO upgrade potential for the future. If you are looking for 400hp and want to save some money, send the stockers off and have steel wheels with a clip put in them. Spool will be about the same as stock, and they have about 500 hp potential.

I've found it's best to call the turbo company you'll be dealing with and ask. Give them an honest goal, tell them what you have, and you'll end up with the best turbo for your set-up. I really like ITS. Their engineers and products are top notch. Stay away from the HKS turbos unless you find a smokin' deal. They're Garrett and very good turbos, but WAY overpriced. You can get something just as good in the States for $1000 cheaper. The manifolds come with a T4 or V-Band flange.

HKS Turbos like Matt said are Garrett turbos. You might as well just get a Garrett turbo for cheaper and it's the exact same thing. I wouldn't go with the GReddy/Trust turbos. Stay far far away from Turbonetics and go with Innovative Turbos or Garrett in my opinion.

Guest JAMIE T

Definately the GT30R is TOO small. A guy local runs one on his SE-R B-13 Sentra. It's a freakin' 2-liter of limited rpm range. Our '26's will spin to 8500 and are way effecient. I picked up my HKS GT2540's for $2K. I could have gotten some Garrett's for about the same price, but they wouldn't be exact bolt-ons. I would have needed to re-pipe the engine, etc... The ones I got are perfect replacemants. They are used but should be fine.

I was looking at the GT40 turbo before buying the HKS's. The GT40 should be good for over 600 at the wheels.

I know this isn't a 26 topic, but I was considering the GT3071R (with the T28 flange) for my RB25DET (using the stock turbo manifold). I'm planning for about 400WHP if that max. I don't need much more than that for street.

If I have some money, I was looking into some of the TRUE HKS Cast manifolds on Ebay and then going with a bigger turbo like a GT30R, or use my 30% discount on HKS Turbos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7980148428&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Perhaps I should just stick with the stockers for now... get it up and running and see how it feels. I have sooo many other things I need to focus on first. I think I'll send them out to a reputable turbo shop and have them looked over... maybe take Matt's suggestion and have non-ceramic wheels installed.

I've heard enough bad things about the SSAutochrome units that I'm probably better off staying away from them

For the ones made about two years ago, yes they are lame. But the stuff SSA has been making (321 stainless, mostly) since about middle of last year is fine, at least as far as 4-banger stuff, I haven't had experience with anything for the I-6s...