HybridZ

RB25 Z32 swap, trany questions.

Guest rx7636

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason the AWD trans go for alot cheaper is because they're worthless to all of us RWD guys......you need the RWD trans

i've seen guys over here cut off the transfer case(chain driven) and plate it up,not pretty but who sees it anyway

the other downside is that behind a gtr there is a good chance it has already been caned before you put it in your car

still if you already have one you don't have much to lose

I compared the shorty tranny out of the pathfinder and it's 27 inches from bellhousing to the center of the shifter shaft in neutral.

The Fs5w71b I have is 29 inches but it does come from a first generation maxima so I'm not sure if it's shifter is in the same place as it would be in a s130 application.

i found a pic of this z32 trans with a shifter on it. i see, it has a bracket to

mount the shifter so if i use the box/plate postion for the shifter it would exit somewhere around the volume knob for the radio on my 240z.

i am not sure how well that would work for me?

thanks for taking the time to measure that for me!

it's been a while since re-visiting this thread

i have a z32 tranny in my rb25'd 280z , you can use the front bellhousing off a 25 or 26 i used a 26 cause it was easy to get ,i used a 91 maxima slave cylinder and drilled/threaded the holes for it, rb20, 25, or 26 clutch and flywheels all work with each other.

i like the z32 tranny over the rb25 tranny in that they're the same frickin guts , it's been said they both can handle 1000hp (i don't make 1000hp but it handles my 440 no problem) the z32's cheaper than the 25, the z32's easier to find (call junk yards), and you can shorten the shift linkage or lengthen it to put the shifter where you want it in the correct location (cut and weld)

with new shift bushings all i really have to do is rotate my wrist to get it in gear, where as the 25's just like a ka as far as shifting, there's a lot of slop. you just gotta be careful about the rumor'd (don't get this particular year z32 tranny cause they have bad synchros) my z32 tranny's out of a non-turbo 91 z32

the only thing that i don't like is the damn speed sensor is so frickin long. i wish i could put the rb20 vss in it so the stock 280z cable driven speedo would work (it sux not having speedo), but if you get autometer speedo guage you're all good. and if you need a calibration box (according to the profec e01 the speed signal is a 2p)

you could modify an rb20 vss to work with it, you just need to be able to weld aluminum. anywho

gl

Dave =]

you just gotta be careful about the rumor'd (don't get this particular year z32 tranny cause they have bad synchros) my z32 tranny's out of a non-turbo 91 z32

Dave =]

The transmissions were ALL identical internally in every USDM Z32 (non turbo or TT)

Only in 1997 did Nissan produce a new transmission with fortified hard parts, which even then is still prone to damage

The reason your particular trans is in better shape is that it came out of a non-turbo Z, which typically see significantly less abuse due to the fact non-turbo's werent making anywhere near the power the TT's were.........that and anyone who buys a non turbo Z is a weiner anyways :shock:

the only thing that i don't like is the damn speed sensor is so frickin long. i wish i could put the rb20 vss in it so the stock 280z cable driven speedo would work (it sux not having speedo),

gl

Dave =]

I have a spare trans saved up that looks exactly like the RB25t trans, but it has a speedo cable drive on it instead of the electronic one.

I think it's a Z31t trans

of505903933760143gj9.th.jpgthpix.gif

Joel, that looks just like the 88 Z31 turbo trans I have laying around. This is the trans to have if you can't find an RB25 trans for a good price. You shouldn't have to worry about the shifter location like the Z32 trans.

Brandon

You still have to swap bell housings though, right?

Also, anyone have any idea how much power the rb20det trans can take? (same as a KA, or SR). I'm only going for around 300-350whp on my rb25 and currently have an Rb20 trans....just wondering if i just just use that (saves me tracking down an RB25/26 bell housing and dealing with headache of z32 length).

Mark