HybridZ

SBC swap: What Radiator?

Ok, I am going to the junk yard to pull a tranny in a day or so, and I was curious as to what radiator I should pull while I'm there?

I don't yet have the JTR manual, and I searched the forum, but didn't come up with a solid enough answer, so I figured I would ask.

I heard that a Chevy radiator would fit, but which one? I read somewhere that a Camero radiator, but again, which one?

This is a budget build, so at this point, aftermarket is pretty much out of the question. All of the extra cash is being poured into the engine right now. Everything else, I just want to make functional, and I can always upgrade later.

Is anyone else running 5 speed trannys? Is there anything else I should grab while I'm there?

EDIT: I read somewhere something about Taurus fans... any certain year or model I should snag?

Not sure what chevy radiator would fit but i hate the JTR radiator . Ive done every possiable thing to keep my z from over heating with a JTR radiator even before i added a supercharger it overheated . i tried high flow water pumps the bigest electric fan i could get even the infamous ford tarus radiator 2 speed fan . nothing worked untill i bought a 2 row aluminum cross flow radiator and the black magic extreeme electric fan from jegs . the overheating issue ended .

Sorry i cant help ya with the other questions .

Jason " JTR radiator sucks " at least for my z anyhow

I think the JTR book recommends the 1984-1986 4-cylinder Camaro radiator.

Not sure what chevy radiator would fit but i hate the JTR radiator . Ive done every possiable thing to keep my z from over heating with a JTR radiator even before i added a supercharger it overheated . i tried high flow water pumps the bigest electric fan i could get even the infamous ford tarus radiator 2 speed fan . nothing worked untill i bought a 2 row aluminum cross flow radiator and the black magic extreeme electric fan from jegs . the overheating issue ended .

Sorry i cant help ya with the other questions .

Jason " JTR radiator sucks " at least for my z anyhow

I was running the Camaro radiator, and when I upgraded my engine I went ahead and upgraded to the JTR radiator. Now it actually runs hotter than it did before. I was thinking there must be some other problem, but you think the problem could be specific to running the JTR radiator?

im running a 3 row stock rad for a 260z,

no fan, but it stays ok aslong as im moving.

Currently (well i was)$ in the process of making an ally shroud at work and foing to run a stock clutch fan, thought it would look more scheek under the hood than a couple of thermo's

my recent experience, however i have just bought myself A PWR ally 2 row radiator off ebay AUS to fit my Zed, whata a score.

nato

The Camaro rad. from 1984 to 86, with standard cooling, the heavy duty rad is too wide to fit. The one you want is about 25 inches wide, aluminum with plastic side tanks. Get the upper fan shroud and rubber mounts (4, 2 upper 2 lower). The fan shroud holds the upper rubber mounts and the top of the rad in the car, if you have time it can be adapted to work in the Z car and you can figure out lower rad mounts mounted on the frame rails, you need to mount the rad with the 4 rubber mounts or it will shake apart if mounted solid in the car. With the engine in the set back position I run a stock camaro engine driven declutching fan blade and have no cooling problems at all, this is a street car, I'd go with the elect. fan for a drag car. Hope this helps.

Hey Bartman

Runs hotter with the JTR rad huh . Is it just a stock 350 like a first gen or like a LS1 or such . I do know certain engines like hotter temps but i was running a 180 degree Thermostat with the JTR radiator and i couldnt keep the temp below 210 sometimes i got to 205 but mainly 210-220 degrees . And thats with the hood removed and the outside air tempature around 80 degrees .

I used the same electric fan on the new radiator as i did on the JTR rad . The new 2 row cross flow radiator never gets over 185 degrees now .

This winter i accidently put a hole in my radiator stupid me not paying attention to what i was doing . Well i keep the JTR radiator as a spare so i took out the 2 row and installed the JTR radiator . Now this was in the dead of winter and in the mornings it was about 24 degrees outside . Where as the 2 row on a morning like that kept the temp about 170 degrees the JTR rad bumped it up to 190 strange but i had to use it untill i got the other one fixed .

For a budget build just stay with the stock Z radiator. If you recore it to a 3 row core it will easily cool a V8. Everybody thinks you have to get a different radiator, but there have been quite a few members who run the stocker so replacing the radiator is NOT a must do part of a V8 swap.

If you stay with the stocker, then I have heard that the dual electric fans off a Camaro will bolt right up to it.

Also I know necessity is the mother of taking chances, but I have never liked the idea of pulling a radiator out of a bone yard.

well, I hear a lot of 84-86 Cameros, but I'm guessing there is a difference between the 4 and 8 cyl. radiator.

I don't know if I would trust a small radiator...

And I know better than to run a stock Z radiator... That's really asking for trouble...

In the dead of the 100*+ summer heat and humidity in Houston, TX, the first time I really got on it, or the first pass down the strip,

and my engine would have a heat stroke.

Obviously, from what I've read, I guess I should stay away from the JTR rad.

But that's not even an option, anyway...

The idea was to find a radiator that fits from the junk yard, and flush it out and get the car operational. Then, once I've got the kinks worked out, I will just got to the parts house and buy a stock replacement radiator for whatever I have in the car.

Electric fans are a must, and they should be fairly easy to source. I would never even entertain the thought of pouring all of my money into a project like this, and then running it with no fan at all...

Besides, you get more power from electric fans, anyway...

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Hey Bartman

Runs hotter with the JTR rad huh . Is it just a stock 350 like a first gen or like a LS1 or such . I do know certain engines like hotter temps but i was running a 180 degree Thermostat with the JTR radiator and i couldnt keep the temp below 210 sometimes i got to 205 but mainly 210-220 degrees . And thats with the hood removed and the outside air tempature around 80 degrees .

I used the same electric fan on the new radiator as i did on the JTR rad . The new 2 row cross flow radiator never gets over 185 degrees now .

This winter i accidently put a hole in my radiator stupid me not paying attention to what i was doing . Well i keep the JTR radiator as a spare so i took out the 2 row and installed the JTR radiator . Now this was in the dead of winter and in the mornings it was about 24 degrees outside . Where as the 2 row on a morning like that kept the temp about 170 degrees the JTR rad bumped it up to 190 strange but i had to use it untill i got the other one fixed .

Interesting information on the JTR radiator. My engine is an LT1 and it seems to run about 20 degree's hotter since I switched to the JTR radiator from the stock 84-86 Camaro radiator. I never even considered that it could be from the radiator so I've been trying to figure out anything else that could make it run hotter. I've already switched electric fans thinking that might be the problem without any noticeable difference. What's really stumped me is that it runs cooler when it's stopped or at low speeds than when it's running at highway speeds. Now I'm wondering if I should switch radiators again.

And I know better than to run a stock Z radiator... That's really asking for trouble...

In the dead of the 100*+ summer heat and humidity in Houston, TX, the first time I really got on it, or the first pass down the strip,

and my engine would have a heat stroke.

Don't believe me?

A member named Phantom was from I believe the Dallas area and never had a cooling problem with his V8 Z. See post #5

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113211&highlight=radiator

Good luck with your search.

BTW, the JTR radiator is one of the more popular radiators on this site. Why are so many guys running that radiator if it doesn't work?

Interesting information on the JTR radiator. My engine is an LT1 and it seems to run about 20 degree's hotter since I switched to the JTR radiator from the stock 84-86 Camaro radiator. I never even considered that it could be from the radiator so I've been trying to figure out anything else that could make it run hotter. I've already switched electric fans thinking that might be the problem without any noticeable difference. What's really stumped me is that it runs cooler when it's stopped or at low speeds than when it's running at highway speeds. Now I'm wondering if I should switch radiators again.

That tells me your fans are working fine. You just have an airflow issue at speed.

Use to be Z's had an airflow turbulence issue that caused them to heat up at speed. Datsun fixed this by installing a "chin pan", a bolt on sheild that went between the frame rails from the radiator back to the cross member. This smoothed out the undercar turbulence allowing smooth airflow through the radiator at speed.

I am putting a JTR rad in my car and the first thing I noticed is the JTR mounting position will not allow me to use the chin pan. I have not really decided what I am going to do about that.

My quess what you need to do is figure out a way to get the air to flow through your radiator and not around it. Guys have reported having luck by sealing the areas around the radiator and sheet metal so air can't go around the rad. Also make sure any shroud you may have on the electric fan allows air to flow through the radiator when the fans are off. A lot of those shrouds have flaps that let air through when the fan is off, but close up when the fan is on.

Do a search. There have been hundreds of ideas for improving cooling at speed.

My install is somewhat unique in that I have tilted my radiator back in order to install a custom Ram Air system over the top of my radiator. I'm also running AC which makes it significantly harder to keep cool. Before I upgraded my engine I was running the same cooling setup except now I switched to an electric water pump and upgraded the stock Camaro radiator to a new JTR radiator.

I know there are many people using the JTR radiator, including myself. but it sounds like we have good emperical evidence from gretchen/jason that shows the aluminum radiator from Summit runs cooler than the same setup using the JTR radiator. I have no reason to bias the results, and I don't think gretchen/jason has any reason to do so either. I just want my cooling system to provide me with the best possible results within reasonable cost restraints. If switching to a Summit aluminum radiator will allow me to run 15 - 20 degrees cooler, then I'm willing to make that change. The cost seems pretty reasonable at $169.95.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of anything. I just get nervous having a JTR radiator waiting to be installed and want to make sure everything is OK. Plus I get bored at work sometimes.

I think two guys having issues is not exactly overwhelming empirical evidence. Especially since yours is a unique install that seems to cool fine when the fans are working at a stop, and if I remember correctly Gretchn Jason is running a blower. Actually if I am reading you guys right neither one is actually overheating, just running hotter than you like?

I am sure both of you guys are telling the truth and things are what they are. But I also know a bigger radiator will mask other problems that may exist. The JTR radiator is just an upgraded Camaro radiator. Hard to imagine how it could have less cooling capacity than the Camaro unit.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of anything. I just get nervous having a JTR radiator waiting to be installed and want to make sure everything is OK. Plus I get bored at work sometimes.

I think two guys having issues is not exactly overwhelming empirical evidence. Especially since yours is a unique install that seems to cool fine when the fans are working at a stop, and if I remember correctly Gretchn Jason is running a blower. Actually if I am reading you guys right neither one is actually overheating, just running hotter than you like?

I am sure both of you guys are telling the truth and things are what they are. But I also know a bigger radiator will mask other problems that may exist. The JTR radiator is just an upgraded Camaro radiator. Hard to imagine how it could have less cooling capacity than the Camaro unit.

Fair enough and yes I'm just talking about running hotter than I like. I haven't given up yet, but I may try switching radiators in the future. What's compelling to me is that gretchen/jason had a problem and it seemed to be resolved when he switched from the JTR radiator to the aluminum Summit one (changed electric fans as well); then later on he had a hole in the Summit radiator and temporarily switched back to the JTR one and the problem returned. I didn't make a connection to my problem and the radiator until I read this; and now I'm wondering. Anyone in the market for a radiator should give this some serious thought.

To the original post, the JTR manual states "the genuine Chevrolet base radiator for the 1984-1986 Camaro" is the junkyard model to look for.

Here's the link for the entire cooling chapter from the JTR book:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V8-chapters/V8-DatsunZ-Cooling-System.pdf

well mine is a ford V8 but still, its the same thing and i live in Kuwait, i'm using the stock 280z radiator for the last month and it cools good enough, not sure how it will perform when the temp hits 50C here in Kuwait, i only had to modefy the outlet lower hose position from the passenger's side to the driver's side. Also, i'm running one hell of an electric fan, it normaly comes on german cars like BMWs and benzes. they call it (Turbo fan)

Bart and Jason,

Which thermostat are you guys running?

I have the JTR radiator, a stock LT1 pump, a Taurus Fan and installed a 160 degree stat. Before the new stat I ran the original stock unit which starts to open at 195 degrees and is meant to keep the engine in the 210-220 range for emissions pruposes. Before swapping stats my engine ran in the 210 range and no matter what the fan did thats where it stayed, as soon as I put the 160 degree unit in the temps dropped down to the 175-190 range. I reprogrammed the PCM to account for the cooler thermostat.

There are lots of things that can cause problems with the cooling system and to blame it on the radiator is not always valid. I'd be willing to bet Jason's JTR unit is either plugged with stuff and/or the cap is weak and releases the pressure before it should which then boils the coolant which causes the engine to heat up more, etc, etc..., and Bart's install is definitely unique. I'd be interested to see how Bart's system would work with the old Camaro radiator, would it run hotter now than it did before?

Anyway, the only problems I've had with the JTR radiator were caused by an old thermostat and a fan that overloaded it's relays and burned them out. Once these issues were addressed the JTR radiator has worked great.

1 in the + column for the JTR radiator.

Wheelman