HybridZ

RB20DET questions

Guest red_dog007

Guest red_dog007

Well, I was debating about making my L24 basically a pimped out N/A L24. Though after looking at cost to benefit ratio, I would be better off with an RB20DET.

For the cost, I had rather purchase an RB20. Save me a lot of money compared to a pimped out L24 and give me plenty of power.

Issue that I would have is what kind of fuel economy would I be looking at in a 240z with an RB20DET? I have been looking at V8s for the same price, but with gas at $3+/gal V8 fuel economy is not going to sit well.

How are these things reliability and is there a mileage where things tend to go, or just everything goes to crap? Gaskets, timing belt, turbo, ect.

I have been riding in a 2008 BMW 335xi a lot lately, so the power is getting the better of me. Would 215hp from the RB20DET put me at least at 6 seconds? It seems it would have a power to weight ratio of 11lbs per hp, which is the same as a 5.1 second Mustang, so could I see times along those.

How readily do these bad boys swap up?

Before I forget, also, how is the turbo on this thing? How responsive is it? In the BMW, power is right there when you push the pedal at any RMP. Even a 5-60 roll is extremely fast as the turbo's are cranking out 300ft.lbs as low as 1,400rpm. Though my buddies 1JZ seems to have a bit of lag in the 2,000rpm range when pushing the pedal. Takes a second for the power to kick in. Just, how does the RB20 turbo act and its effective range.

I Installed a RB20DET in my Z this year and believe its a great way to go. It cetrainly doesnt have the grunt potential of the RB25 but its very affordable and is utlimately capable of putting a lot more power to the road than the L24..... at a lower cost.

And yes fuel consumption is pretty good, I cant tell you how much better as I dont really care but I know I can go further on a tank of gas. The comparison of a 2L to a 5L V8 is obvious.

They are reliable and most part are available through your friendly neighbourhood NISSAN dealer or eBay...or many other vendors!. I cant say how quick ta stock RB20 is compared to a stock Mustang as mine is not stock but its plently fast.... It doesnt need power steering. as it steers just like a stock L24 car.

As for the install.....pretty straight forward. You can buy engine mounts from various sources, fabricate your own tranny mount, buy an oil pan from NISSAN, build an exhaust, install an intercooler and wire it up. A bit simplified but pretty much on. and all the info is available right here on hybrdZ.

The one thing I dont like is that it seems to revs a bit slow for my liking.???.....I think this may be due to the heavy flywheel. So Im fixing that right now with a lightened one. Overall I, happy with the build.

Would I do it again or differently? Yes. I picked the RB20DET because it was 2L ( same as the 432Z), I wasnt looking for tons of HP, I wanted fuel economy, I wanted an easy car to drive and the RB20 cost less than all the other RBs. I would buy the RB25DET for the build paltform if I did it again. Do I regret my project?....not for an instant. Love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto on the RB20DET. I just put one in my 75. Still dealing with closed loop idle issues. Once it worms up, smooth as glass. Turbo spools as soon as you touch the gas. I don't have any fuel specs yet but I here 35 mph is not out of the question. Once you here this thing ref to 8k, you won't be getting 35 mph. Your not going to be able to resist pushing it where ever you'r headed. I would add a good upgrade radiator though. This little engine puts out a lot of heat. Also, do you research before starting. Lots of parts take time to get in so you will want to make a list and get them on order asap.

I'm planning an rb20det in my sonoma for the spring. I drive my sonoma year round and the old 2.2l in it is slow. I've been talking with jitter about using the stock gauges, i want the truck to look as stock as possible :D I'm glad to see a post about the rb20's since most things on here is 25-26-30 related. I love my rb25 so it was a logical decision to drop a rb20 in my truck, I did measure the engine and it should fit without firewall modifications. I put an l28et in my mazda b2000 so i know i can fit an rb in a sonoma :D i'll be posting pics and everything when the project gets underway 100%

Still dealing with closed loop idle issues. Once it worms up, smooth as glass.

Just in case you missed it : the heater for the EGO sensor needs its own power feed. The connector which povides IGN & START signals to the ECU also need an ignition switched feed to the EGO heater wire.

Guest red_dog007
I'm planning an rb20det in my sonoma for the spring. I drive my sonoma year round and the old 2.2l in it is slow. I've been talking with jitter about using the stock gauges, i want the truck to look as stock as possible :D I'm glad to see a post about the rb20's since most things on here is 25-26-30 related. I love my rb25 so it was a logical decision to drop a rb20 in my truck, I did measure the engine and it should fit without firewall modifications. I put an l28et in my mazda b2000 so i know i can fit an rb in a sonoma :D i'll be posting pics and everything when the project gets underway 100%

Dude, that is awesome. I have an S10 with the poo 2.8L V6. I have been thinking about a Vortec 4800 but with me currently getting 25mpg, I am not sure if I want to pass that up. An RB20DET might be a better option then the 4.8L in terms of fuel economy.

Let me know how that swap goes! Will be very interesting to see how that turns out.

• 9 years later...

Ditto on the RB20DET. I just put one in my 75. Still dealing with closed loop idle issues. Once it worms up, smooth as glass. Turbo spools as soon as you touch the gas. I don't have any fuel specs yet but I here 35 mph is not out of the question. Once you here this thing ref to 8k, you won't be getting 35 mph. Your not going to be able to resist pushing it where ever you'r headed. I would add a good upgrade radiator though. This little engine puts out a lot of heat. Also, do you research before starting. Lots of parts take time to get in so you will want to make a list and get them on order asap.

Not trying to hijack the thread! Just wondering what radiator you paired up with your rb? Putting together my parts list now and picking a radiator has been tough. Thanks a lot!

Edited by juliarosario