HybridZ

240Z Front Bumper Differences

I have a 1973 240Z and want to move the bumpers closer to the body as with the pre '73 cars. Question: Is my front bumper bar the same as earlier bodies? If so, I think it would be just a matter of getting early style brackets and viola!

Plan is to fill old holes in '73 bar, straighten and paint gloss silver (going on a BMW artic white car) or find pre '73 bumper and install.

Cost for chroming a bumper being very $$$, I don't want to chrome MY '73 front bar if it is not gonna work. I might just go the MSA fiberglass route...

What do you think?

Oh, and Happy New Year!! :mparty:

T_RX

I didn't realize there was a difference in how the 240 bumpers were mounted. But I learn new things all the time.

What I do know is early bumpers command top dollar. They are hard to find used in good condition, and new ones, although still available, run something like a grand.

MSA has fiberglass and carbon fiber repos. Worthless in a parking lot bump but a lower cost option.

The side brackets on the 73 bumper are different than pre 73'. They sit farther back. I think they are also a little narrower were it comes to the body. I cut my side tabs off and welded new ones on so I could move it back and use the same holes on the fender to mount it.