HybridZ

She's runnin...too bad its raining for 2 weeks!

lilredZ

Well I finally got the new Dart block in. I could do a significant write-up just on this past weekend but I'll give the skinny version for now.

The block was a steal from e-bay. I lucked out and found a guy selling his brand new forged short-block kit...Dart block, Ross Pistons, scat crank and rods wtc...for a .155 over bore 369.

I used my top end, flat tappet cam brodix heads, g williams 820 cfm carb and vic jr intake and strapped it in. I also did some interior work...

it ran 11.8 /119 1/4 mi with the old 337 with about 435-475 HP (guess) I hope to be in the 11.0-11.5 range now.

oh yea i installed the tokiko suspension also...

i am too tired to write it all up now but may do it in the future.

the weather is supposed to be terrible here in N. Calif (SF Bay Area) over the next 2 weeks and I'm a fair weather driver...oh well...

by the way, if anyone knows where the heater hose is supposed to come through the firewall i'd appreciate your input

here are some pics shot today:

l_87c50c057fc64ff3a71a8967618c4a96_thumb.jpg

l_6057a4821d05a4811812f4766fa50237_thumb.jpg

l_87c1e83800c2155d217dc8862347b4ca_thumb.jpg

l_5ae15de80b1fc24aa5fdab2e04c5fab1_thumb.jpg

l_a30aefe9834b5039e5f73e2f2c252591_thumb.jpg

thanks...

yea whats up with this weather? global warming? hmmm seems like global freezing at the moment....and this rain sucks.

i am going to set something up at thunder hill for some buddies at work...this March. I will post something here to see if we can get a full track...that way it's cheaper.

thanks for the nice compliments

It wasn't raining yesterday but i spent the day hooking up the heater and finding the leaks...then this morning fixing the leaks...just in time for more rain. that didn't stop me i tested my heater and new wiper blade (only 1 wiper) and it ran pretty good. the only motor issue so far is the slight hesitation just after i accellerate...it seems to power up to full throttle without any hesitation if i mash the throttle all the way (hard to do in the rain). if i throttle up slowly it rumbles past the transition then smooths out. i need to check the transition circuits in the carb.

i haven't had it much past 80-90 MPH since it has been raining pretty solid...i was getting on the freeway on friday night and tapped the accellerator to merge (the way i drive i don't yield unless i absolutely must...but i wont cut anyone off either)...and she started to spin out immediately...i guess going 50-60 in the rain then smashing the throttle isn't a great idea...lol

i forgot to mention the tranny leak. every time i get on it, the tranny (C4) leaks then fill the cockpit with nasty smoke (and it's embarassing). i checked the coolant lines...no obvious leaks from what i could see.

since i just had the tranny rebuilt and had the leak (supposedly) fixed once before i guess i'll just drop it at the tranny shop again tomorrow.

i am going to set up a Thunder Hill day in March. i have about 10 guys from work SO FAR: 2 vettes, BMWs (M5), 1 Porsche, 1 Acura, 1 roush stang and a few other guys saying they want to go but i don't know what they drive. they all will do as well as the Z at TH because TH is all about handling and has little to do with straight up power. the Z does very well for a 73 car but not compared to those cars. it will kick all their asses in a straight line though...at any given red light on any given sunday!

Careful driving that red car in the rain,spinning around is no fun.Your car is too nice to be banged up.

The C4 leak might be due to fluid blowing out the vent. Maybe the trans was over filled? Running a 1/4 inch line from the vent to a firewall mounted accumulator can mounted above the bellhousing fixed the same problem on my car.

I also have been waiting for the rain to stop to try out the fresh motor in my car. Last time ,out running a fresh motor, a head gasket blew which caused a partial hydro-lock of one cylinder which caused a rod bearing to spin taking out the crank and one piston. It's all fresh again now waiting for the rain to stop. Hoping it doesn't rain this week so some 1/8 mile testing can be done at Irwindale.

http://images19.fotki.com/v32/photos/4/42437/4197285/IMG_1509-vi.jpg

What are the details of your motor? What kind of times have you run?

I took my z to the tranny shop and asked them to fix the leak. I have had it back aftr the $1800 rebuild 2x.

I will look into the overflow sump idea. Wher (on the tranny) is the vent? I felt around for it but since I can't see anything without dropping it I couldn't find it.

The vent on a '69 and earlier C4 is a 1/4 inch tube on the drivers side near the shift linkage. '70 and up it is on the top of the tailshaft.My early C4 has a hose hooked up to the tube running to a fuel filter mounted on the firewall to act as an accumulator. Prior to that it blew enough fluid out at the track that I got kicked off due to excessive smoke caused by the trans fluid burning on the the hot exhaust.

The car has run 7.50's at about 90MPH in the 1/8 mile. This is about 11.80's 1/4 mile. It's a re-ringed standard bore 302,solid flat tappet cam,E Bay aluminium heads,750 Holley on a Performer RPM,Summit 1 5/8 street rod headers,3800 stall C4,4.11 R200. The BFG 215R14 Drag Radials have cut a best of 1.575 60 ft which is much better than I expected.

Hoping the weather stays dry for some testing of the fresh motor this Thursday night at Irwindale.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...the carb isn't tuned correctly, the headers are too small but she's pretty fast. I hooked up my buddy's g-tech pro and went and ran some laps near the airport last weekend...

The trick was learning not to pre-load...for my car I can't rev the motor with my foot on the brake (stall rev) at all. If I do all she does is spin the tires...spin...spin...spin. However if I just step on the gas and let off the brake at the same time she launches with minimal (if any) tire squeel and gave me a best run of 11.595.

The 11.595 was at 108 MPH (which doesn't add up) so I pulled the data and found my problem:

The G-Tech doesn't rely on position at all so I was guessing where th 1/4 mile mark was. I overshot the mark and then had to brake pretty hard to stay safe etc...aparently I was not going far enough. The good news is that even with the obvious decelleration at the end I still ran solid 11.6s to 11.8s all day long.

Once I learned how to launch, it was easy as pie...until I broke a u-joint in the drive shaft. I had to nurse it home.

Here is a video of a few launches (link) you can see run or 2 with tire squeel and most without...then a little showing off:

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=450381

lilredz

gtech_run_240z_20080209_thumb.JPG

Oh yea...I almost forgot to mention that my car is in "Hot Rod" magazine's HomeBuilt heros (Spring 08) that just came out...page53. Dave sent in his pics right after I bought the car...he deserves the credit for the beautiful car and the excellent job on the motor and tranny etc...