HybridZ

240z Holley conversion

GrenadeZ

So Im in the process of performing the holley 4bbl conversion and will be posting pics soon as well as some sound clips and some feedback as far as performance and reliability. I know that when I searched the topic not much came up.

My question is this: Holley, as well as arizona-z car states that you need either A) a low velocity fuel pump or B) the orginal mechanical one.

It was converted to use an electirc fuel pump (its a cheap unit from autozone) I dont know how many psi the unit operates. Should I get a new unit or go back to the mechanical one, or would a better option be to use a fuel pressure regulator?

I dont really know the science behind fuel systems so Im trying to get up to speed, but my dd just died so the z has to come alive! Help Please!

If the pump worked with the SU carbs (240z) it should work with your holley carb. A high pressure fuel injection pumps usually run around $100 so if it is a cheap pump it is probably setup for a carburetor. If it was my setup I would run a fuel regulator. This would let you adjust your fuel flow if your pump puts out a little too much pressure and keep the flow of fuel steady.

So Im in the process of performing the holley 4bbl conversion and will be posting pics soon as well as some sound clips and some feedback as far as performance and reliability. I know that when I searched the topic not much came up.

My question is this: Holley, as well as arizona-z car states that you need either A) a low velocity fuel pump or B) the orginal mechanical one.

It was converted to use an electirc fuel pump (its a cheap unit from autozone) I dont know how many psi the unit operates. Should I get a new unit or go back to the mechanical one, or would a better option be to use a fuel pressure regulator?

I dont really know the science behind fuel systems so Im trying to get up to speed, but my dd just died so the z has to come alive! Help Please!

Sorry i don't have that capability, but the stock pump bolts to the front of the head on the pass. side, then just bend some tubing or get some fuel rated hose and run it over to the carb.I'm running the S.U.s, not sure where the exact hookup for your application would be.

Lol yea Ill get a pick up asap, Its a AZcar intake with a holley 390 4bbl.

Weebezed I didnt know there was a Z cub in Louisiville where are you guys located?

Meet at Collins Ford Nissan on Bardstown Rd. every 4th monday 6pm upstairs on the Nissan side, hope to see you!:cool:

Later model heads may have a block off plate on the mechanical fuel pump mounting boss . When the plate is removed may reveal a cylinder head that was not machined fully to accept the pump arm. I will have to redneck machine the new hole with drill bits and a Makita reciprocating saw. I have a 240 Z mechanical pump but some of my old L20 B 4 cylinder fuel pumps look identical. Also a fellow in Gladstone, Oregon who sells Z parts has a 500CFM Edelbrock on his 280 Z (displayed at the meets) that swears by this carburator which has been in use for years, The Edelbrock 500 CFM on his 280 (used on V6 Jeeps) replaced a 390 CFM Holley

:eek:

Meet at Collins Ford Nissan on Bardstown Rd. every 4th monday 6pm upstairs on the Nissan side, hope to see you!:cool:

lol nice so every 4th monday so when is your next meeting? Im away at school right now (Morehead state university) But the car will be out and about soon so Ill definetly come ur guys way when im in town

:eek:

lol nice so every 4th monday so when is your next meeting? Im away at school right now (Morehead state university) But the car will be out and about soon so Ill definetly come ur guys way when im in town

March 24th, a week from this coming monday. We're going to have a Dyno Day April 26th incase you are interested.

Guest PirateZ

I use the Holley "RED" electric fuel pump with my Holley 4bbl setup.

Its Pre-set @ 6-8psi just for the carb your using. (7160)?

Its also just under $100 @ JEGS or SUMMIT

Its a HOLLEY, not shucksautocrap

I too use Arizona Z Cars manifold (its the best one).

I use Arizona Z Cars 6 into 1 header and the flange between the manifold

and header are the same thickness making bolting up much easier.

If you bought the air cleaner kit, order KnN filter #2710

And get back to me and I'll tell you how to make carb LINKAGE! All cables suck, even good ones for throttle control.

• 6 months later...