HybridZ

Motorsport Auto

I have never had a problem. Been running them for years. Set up on the Z-head rocker wipe pattern is very critical. If you get it wrong, good-bye cam. I wonder if people blame the cam for their poor set-up, or lack of understanding?

one of the members(satan) said the grind was poor, so i just wanted to check b4 i send mine off, i figured they had to be good to be around for so long...but when you say the rocker wipe pattern what exactly do you mean? ive never worked on a OHC engine before always 90' chevy v6s and 350s so im not as knowledgable as the rest of you, would i be better off just having my heads professionaly assembled once the cams come back? ive got all new springs rockers etc for the heads i just want them to work right.

Isky is supposed to be a good one.

It definitely wasn't a lack of understanding or a poor setup, the cam's specs were way off in certain areas according to his post. I noticed some say it may have been due to a group buy, that maybe that's why the quality might have dropped or something along those lines.

Regardless... be absolutely sure to put in new lifters when you put in a new set of cams. They actually wear to the cam and if you put old lifters with a new cam can cause some issues due to them already being worn... something along those lines. Just replace them. :lol:

OK so from what ive heard Motorsport auto N/A cams and schnieder N/A cams are one and the same and are of poor quality..is this true? if so where can i get my cams reground from a trustworthy source? and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Search Schneider cams. There's plenty of info here to read about this subject about reusing rockers and all the rest. Also read the stickies in the L6 forum as there are good tips for setting lash pads, etc. For grinders you can try Delta, Webcams, Isky, and there's probably quite a few others to try.

Isky is supposed to be a good one.

Isky makes Nissan Motorsport's cams (L7, L9, etc), and will do custom grinds as well as regrind a cam you send them. Buying the cam directly from Isky is $60 cheaper for the exact same cam as buying through Courtesy, too.

I had an MSA/Schneider. Dowel pin that locates the cam gear came loose and I crushed all twelve valves. The following lack of any kind of attention from MSA regarding the issue left a rather bad taste in my mouth.

There's an Erson cam for sale on Summit for the L6, don't buy it. The lift is so large the lobes are bigger than the bearing journals. It's literally impossible to install.

wow, thanks for all the info, i forgot about isky completely so ill check them, i knew about the lifter info from my old LT1 350 when i cammed it, gotta get new lifters with new cams, but ill check the lash pad thing since im new to the whole OHC thing, if it helps any the cams i need are for the vg30e not the L series..sorry, but thanks all for the help!