HybridZ

Bell Housing the same for T-5 and Saginaw?

Guest TBroZ

I'm buying a 240Z with a Target Master 327 in it tomorrow. It's got a shell of a Saginaw trans in it. So if I buy a T-5, will the bell housing that's currently on there work? Or do I need a SBC to T-5 bell housing?

TIA,

Terry

What, I say what is that? What's a throw out bearing? I'm very novice with manual trans. knowledge. All I know about a manual trans is how to shift it.

Terry

Also, I'm seeing "T5 Trans for Mustang" listings on Ebay. Are these unique to other T5's or again, is it only a unique bellhousing they're talking about? IOW, can I buy one of the "Mustang T5's" and use my existing bellhousing (which I know fits to a Muncie)?

I'm very novice to the manual trans world, so please bear with the elementary questions.

Terry

Guest greimann

Keep your drivetrain all GM to keep it simple with a Camaro / Firebird T5. It will fit the Saginaw bell housing but the rear mount will be tilted 15 degrees, requiring some creativity with the rear trans mount. A hydraulic release bearing that is shown in the previous post is a nice compact solution to the slave cylinder question. I recommend a McLeod unit from PAW. It comes with a master and slave in a kit. you will need to provide a hose to connect the two. A few pix here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dvgreimann/details.html

Just a FYI on T5's. Borg Warner made many 5 speed trannies under the the big "T5" family name. Even within the same applications there were many internal variations. There were T5's for Ford, Chevy, Nissan, and others I believe. All different. T5's for V6 Chevys are different than T5's for V8 Chevys, and different for cars and trucks.

Now, can you fab and mod to make mismatched pieces work? Of course, hey this is Hybrid, right. Is it worth it? You decide. I haven't even finished my car yet and I'm worried that 3 to 5 years down the road will I remember what parts fit.

For me I know that everything from the water pump to the driveshaft yoke came out of a '91 TA. Just the way GM put it together and warrantied it. It works.

I'm not ragging on guys here that are striving to improve there rides by putting together the best parts possible. I applaud them. The guys with hp numbers in the stratosphere have to do that. But you either have to know what you are doing or have enough green to afford your "experience" a.k.a. misstates.

This post strated out to be informational and ended up sounding like preaching. Didn't mean for that to happen. Oh well, hope it helps anyway.

Okay, well I know that the bell housing will take a Muncie. I'm getting some conflicting information, though. This one guy at Consolidated Transmissions isn't sure if that bell housing will accept a GM T5. I guess I'd like to know FOR SURE if I buy a GM T5 trans that there is a bell housing out there that will mate it and the 327. I would think that the answer is yes...use the bell housing for the Camaro, right?

I know these are real lame questions...just shows my familiarity with manual transmissions.

Thanks,

Terry

Guest greimann

The answer is YES! A bellhousing from a Camaro / Firebird that was originally equipped with a T5 will bolt to your 327. All Chevy small blocks from 1955 to about 1997 (?) can interchange bellhousings.

The Camaro bellhousing will put the T5 in the 15 degree tilt, that makes the rear mounting pad level. If you use a "straight up" bellhousing like for a 4 speed, the rear pad and the shifter handle will be tilted, requiring some creative fabrication. It can be done because that is how I have my T5 installed, "straight up".

Miles covered that well. If you do not use the Camaro bellhousing, you will have to fabricate a mechanical clutch release or use a hydraulic throwout bearing.

The T5 also attaches to its bellhousing with some slightly smaller metric bolts. It may require reaming the bolt holes to clear the 5/8" bolts that the Muncie bellhousing requires.

If you have to buy a bellhousing and can't find one cheap, it is possible to buy a special one from McLeod (and possibly Lakewood) that uses hydraulic clutch linkage, is drilled for the FORD T5, and comes with a special adapter pilot bearing. Use a GM pressure plate with the Ford disc. SInce you are manufacturing a driveshaft anyhow, makes little difference. As you found out, the Ford T5 is quite common and if you want to go to an aftermarket shifter (highly recommended) it is easy to find used ones for the Ford T5 but not the GM, and they do not interchange.

Terry

I used the Camaro WC T5 trans and tilted Camaro bell housing to avoid making a tilted trans mount. I used the MSA engine and trans mounts without having to make any modifications. I had to trim the shifter hole on the driver's side to clear the shifter and used a B&M shifter designed for the T5. The B&M shifter is angled to compensate for the tilted trans. The setup uses a stock Camaro T5 clutch slave and a master cylinder from a Ford pickup (uses the same roll pin hose connector as the Camaro slave). The hydraulic hose is also from a Ford pickup.

Using this set up was easy and I have had no problems since installation last year. The most critical aspect is getting the trans and diff angles right to avoid driveline vibrations. You will also need to swap in a R200 differential from a 78 280 Z to handle the V8.

If you have any questions email me. You can also see pics of the trans mount on my photo site.

Miles